What's new
What's new

Shim for obsolete tool holder,

Ed.

Aluminum
Hi, I have a Carboloy PTEPNS-85-4D insert holder which takes a TPMG 434E insert and the shim shattered underneath, Does anyone one know what the part number is of the shim, or if there is a third part shim that will fit, it is an old tool so not much info available even form Seco, I have found a similar insert (Kennametal TNMG220412UP)but not sure if the shim is the same. Only reason I would like a replacement is that I have about 30+ inserts left over which aren't much use without the shim.

Thanks.

Did you check E-bay? You might find a battered holder for cheap that still has the shim. Pretty sure something will fit from a different holder maybe even another brand. I never throw old holders out a lot of parts are interchangeable or can be altered.

Search MSC for indexable insert shims. Select the triangle shape with a 1/2" inscribed circle (the 4 in your insert designation reflects 1/2" IC). That will give you a few options. I am unsure of which thickness you need but for the price you could probably guess and get it right

Thanks guys for your help, at least now I know the part number it will make the search easier. I tried MSC but currently none in stock apparently they are back ordered. Will try and find some locally.
Cheers

Thanks MattiJ, The price of US$20 is good for 10pieces but it's US76 for shipping to Oz which sort of kills the deal. I only need 1 or 2 pieces but the postage is uneconomical. Hence the reason for trying to source some locally.

Cheers

I crashed a toolholder and broke the shim. Half an hour later I had a new one made from steel until the right one came in, kept the machine going.

Ed.

I think that I will do the same, It's a tool that I don't use very often so I can wait for something local to turn up and a steel one will get me of of trouble if i need to use it in the meantime.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Thanks MattiJ, The price of US$20 is good for 10pieces but it's US76 for shipping to Oz which sort of kills the deal. I only need 1 or 2 pieces but the postage is uneconomical. Hence the reason for trying to source some locally.

Cheers

Can you use a freight aggregator? That's what I do to keep shipping costs bearable.

Dazz

Unfortunately for the amount of stuff I get from the USA it isn't worth it. Depends on the seller, some are reasonable with freight cost and some like this guy don't use the cheapest method. Don't know if it is an Ebay thing or just there policy. It like when I wanted (and still do need) an oil port for my lathe. Found a company that had them locally they and wanted about AU$5 for it, which I thought was reasonable, till they said they wanted about $275 for postage to bring it in from the States. Really!! ...and they couldn't understand why I didn't go through with the order.

Back