What's new
What's new

Trade my MT5 collet adapter for your MT 4 1/2 collet adapter

Mikel Levy

Aluminum
This is a very nice hardened and ground no.5 Morse taper 5C collet adapter, but my lathe spindle takes a 4 1/2 Morse taper. Anyone out there have a 4 1/2 Morse taper 5C collet adapter they'd like to trade (or perhaps just sell)?
Mike

Collet adapter 1.jpgCollet adapter 2.jpg

Last edited:
4.5 Morse taper to 5c.

Mike,
I may have one. It is loose in my #5 Morse socket and won't go into a #4. The dimensions are 1.6395 diameter right behind the front flange and 1.547 diameter at 1.9375 from the front flange. Check your socket and see if that works and we can go from there.
Thanks,
Charles

Mike,
I may have one. It is loose in my #5 Morse socket and won't go into a #4. The dimensions are 1.6395 diameter right behind the front flange and 1.547 diameter at 1.9375 from the front flange. Check your socket and see if that works and we can go from there.
Thanks,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Unless I am mistaken, a 4 1/2 Morse taper is 1.500" at the gauge line on the big end. My lathe spindle socket is 1.525" at the front edge, so it seems that what you have would not fit and is not a 4 1/2 Morse taper. Your adapter may correspond to one of the other taper standards.

Mike

Hi Mike
I think I might have one and would love to trade. Let me know.
Andy

Hi Andy,

Attached is a chart with Morse taper dimensions so that you can check your adapter. Is yours hardened (you can test by seeing if the edge of a sharp file will bite into it or just skip off--check on an inconspicuous spot)?

Mike

Morse taper dimensions.jpg

Mike,

I wish I could help you out but if you decide to sell instead of trade I'm interested. Good luck on possible trade!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think I may have what you want. 1.530" just under the flange and 1.430" just short of the small end. Distance between the two measuring points is 1.915", which calculates out to about .0522" tpf.
Used, but in excellent condition with no dings or scratches. The pin is good. It is, of course, 5C. I got it a few years back thinking it looked like a spare for my Standard Modern lathe, which has a MT#5 spindle, but it is way too small.

These are rough numbers, as its tough to tell exactly where I took the measurements. If you think these look right, let me know. I can set the calipers up on gage blocks to get a more accurate tpf number.

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

I think I may have what you want. 1.530" just under the flange and 1.430" just short of the small end. Distance between the two measuring points is 1.915", which calculates out to about .0522" tpf.
Used, but in excellent condition with no dings or scratches. The pin is good. It is, of course, 5C. I got it a few years back thinking it looked like a spare for my Standard Modern lathe, which has a MT#5 spindle, but it is way too small.

These are rough numbers, as its tough to tell exactly where I took the measurements. If you think these look right, let me know. I can set the calipers up on gage blocks to get a more accurate tpf number.

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

Hi John,

According to the chart in a previous post above, the 4 1/2 Morse taper is .0520" per inch, so it's likely you've got the genuine article. A more precise measurement should tell the story.

Mike

I have a MT-4.5 5c adapter measures 1.506 at the back of the flange. Your spindle needs to be 1.495 to fit. If your spindle is larger than that 1.495 it will not work.The spindles with a 1.535 large end have a mix of angles used in the taper some Jarno, Mt-4.5 and mt5 angles have been used. Blue up your MT5 and see if the angle matches exzct, then search for size,

I have a MT-4.5 5c adapter measures 1.506 at the back of the flange. Your spindle needs to be 1.495 to fit. If your spindle is larger than that 1.495 it will not work.The spindles with a 1.535 large end have a mix of angles used in the taper some Jarno, Mt-4.5 and mt5 angles have been used. Blue up your MT5 and see if the angle matches exzct, then search for size,

The large end of my spindle bore is 1.525", so unfortunately your adapter won't fit.

Mike

Mike, Does your MT5 fit perfect in the bore but sticks out to far, or it is loose because the taper does not match?

I do have a 5c adapter sized for the 1.435 bore, it has the taper of a MT4.5 but a gage line set for the 1.435. These I made for a group of Rockwell lathe guys, 4140 hardened and ground.

PM me for details.

I am interested in acquiring one of those adapters from you if you are willing to part with it for a reasonable price. I have a Clausing 5914 lathe that came with the draw tube and a nose protector but no 5C to 4.5MT adapter. I have been looking and was getting ready to make one but you might just save me some lathe time!

Regards,
Trever

Mike, Does your MT5 fit perfect in the bore but sticks out to far, or it is loose because the taper does not match?

I do have a 5c adapter sized for the 1.435 bore, it has the taper of a MT4.5 but a gage line set for the 1.435. These I made for a group of Rockwell lathe guys, 4140 hardened and ground.
PM me for details.

Tom,

Were these made for the 10"-11" Rockwell lathes? I have a 14" Rockwell lathe and this is a little bit too small. Mine measures 1.530" at the face.

Ken

TYPO in post 14, gageline set at 1.535 not 1.435

Yes, these fit RD 11 and 14" machines. I had made over 20 of these collet adapters and this is the right size. This is the last one I have, it has a blemish in the bore, but does not effect accuracy, just me. For that reason $100 shipping inc.

I doubt there is a variance in the spindle bores on these machine of more than a .001" . But different folks come with numbers from 1.525 1.540. When I made the first one it was send to guy that owned an RD11. He blued the samples I sent him, for size and taper, From that 1.535 with an MT-4.5 taper of .624"ft. Several were purchased by RD 14 owners, and they fit fine.

If you don't like the fit, send it back to me.

Tom

Hi John,

According to the chart in a previous post above, the 4 1/2 Morse taper is .0520" per inch, so it's likely you've got the genuine article. A more precise measurement should tell the story.

Mike

Took measurements several more times with verniers up on parallels, and get a taper per inch of .0531 - .0532. This is more than a MT4-1/2 should be, and slightly more that an MT5. Definitely not a Jarno or a B&S, though. Adapter is hardened.

If you want to give it a try, let me know.

Took measurements several more times with verniers up on parallels, and get a taper per inch of .0531 - .0532. This is more than a MT4-1/2 should be, and slightly more that an MT5. Definitely not a Jarno or a B&S, though. Adapter is hardened.

If you want to give it a try, let me know.

Thanks, John, but from your measurements it's pretty clear that the fit won't be right.

Back