What's new
What's new

wanted Biax 4eb motor

kensmachine

Cast Iron
I have an Biax 4EB the motor is bad on. one day I plug it in and turned it on it ran a few seconds that I heard a snap and saw a big ball of flame smoke shoot out for the motor. Thanks ken

ken: Are you sure it's the motor? Could it have been a wire that merely got rubbed bare and shorted out? Maybe a little more info or some pics would be revealing.

JH

I've been told no parts for these old machines. plus it's is a 220 volt motor be nice to convert it to 120 volt. when I pulled the motor cover off it looks like the cap died

I've been told no parts for these old machines. plus it's is a 220 volt motor be nice to convert it to 120 volt. when I pulled the motor cover off it looks like the cap died

Ke: Who told you that parts are no longer available? Was it Dapra? Motors can be rebuilt. I had a 1/4HP-3 phase motor for a cutter grinder changed from 480 volt to 240 volt. Cost about 5 years ago was $125.00. Good luck.

JH

First of all remove the capacitor and all its remnants. Then clean all the areas blackened by the soot from the explosion. While you have it apart, check the carbon brushes and make sure they are still long enough not to cock over in their holders. Also check all cables for damage.
Then put the motor back together and see if it runs. If it does, all you have to do is replace the capacitor.
If it doesn't, you will find out if the stator coil or the rotor/armature is open circuit. If either is, replace it.
Now, I have an old 4EB with a worn-out air motor - and I would love to get hold of a 220V version to match out power here...
If yours runs after checking as above, and you decide to to get it rewound for 120V, I'd like to see if I can find a complete motor that's burnt out for you to have rewound....
Cheers,
Joe

Back