What's new
What's new

Wanted: DC servo/tach for Y axis on Tree Journeyman 300

MT6

Aluminum
I have a Tree Journeyman 300 that I got working. It was running good but the Y axis would flake out occasionally. I damaged the tachometer windings thru my carelessness. I've piggy back other tachs to the motor but they don't have the resolution I need (to much hunting). I'm hoping someone may be parting out or have spare parts for this early 80's vintage machine. It was well maintained but hadn't run for at least 6 years. Still has a paper tape reader but was upgraded to a RS232 which is working for transferring programs.

The shaft that the tach armature mounts on is .255" and the outside diameter of the tach housing is ~1.92". The business end of the permanent magnet servo is .625". There's two wires to the servo and 2 wires to the tach.

Hopefully someone will know of a source for a spare tach or complete motor assy.

Thanks,
MT6

I have a Tree Journeyman 300 that I got working. It was running good but the Y axis would flake out occasionally. I damaged the tachometer windings thru my carelessness. I've piggy back other tachs to the motor but they don't have the resolution I need (to much hunting). I'm hoping someone may be parting out or have spare parts for this early 80's vintage machine. It was well maintained but hadn't run for at least 6 years. Still has a paper tape reader but was upgraded to a RS232 which is working for transferring programs.

The shaft that the tach armature mounts on is .255" and the outside diameter of the tach housing is ~1.92". The business end of the permanent magnet servo is .625". There's two wires to the servo and 2 wires to the tach.

Hopefully someone will know of a source for a spare tach or complete motor assy.

Thanks,
MT6

Tachogenerator? Or Resolver / encoder?

If tachogenerator, you might try matching it in the Servo-Tek catalog.

Still in new production, USA.

Plus there is at least one rebuilder / tester on Ebay with guarantees, as well as several with untested goods. Vanilla "recyclers", basically.

"Hunting" - stability, sensitivity, response rate, damping, etc. is part of the adjustments in the DC Drives I use, (Eurotherm/Parker-SSD, analog screwdriver-adjust trimpots) - but ... for an unrelated purpose.

See if whatever you use has similar adjustments.

Monarchist, thanks for the info. I believe it is a Tachogenerator. It generates a DC voltage when turned. The one on this motor mounts directly on the motor shaft. Unfortunately the label on the servo is unreadable. The tach that I mounted on the motor is 20V/1000rpm. I don't know what the original one is but it may be around 7V/1000. I put in a potentiometer to tweek the voltage down but I don't think the tach has fine enough resolution.

Servo-Tek may have an appropriate tach that I can piggy back on. Was just hoping to not have to kluge it to much.

Can you provide a link to the Ebay rebuilder? I can't come up with the appropriate search words to find them.

Thanks,
MT6

Monarchist, thanks for the info. I believe it is a Tachogenerator. It generates a DC voltage when turned. The one on this motor mounts directly on the motor shaft. Unfortunately the label on the servo is unreadable. The tach that I mounted on the motor is 20V/1000rpm. I don't know what the original one is but it may be around 7V/1000. I put in a potentiometer to tweek the voltage down but I don't think the tach has fine enough resolution.

Servo-Tek may have an appropriate tach that I can piggy back on. Was just hoping to not have to kluge it to much.

Can you provide a link to the Ebay rebuilder? I can't come up with the appropriate search words to find them.

Thanks,
MT6

I didn't save that information anywhere handy, but a "drop in" fit, not kludge, is almost assured.

Just do a new search on Servo-Tek or tachogenerator. Find the vendors who offer "many" and offer some form of assurance they are good ones. Not hard to test the output - it is bearings that go, too, though.

I have several here - as I buy used ones for experiments from $20-$40 to $120 with the eye on NEW ones at ~ $280 to $400 or so only once I am certain what best suits a specific need and space.

Back