What's new
What's new

Wanted--set of 5c collets, hardinge tap holder and turret tooling.

Whetstone

Cast Iron
I just picked up a hardinge DV-59 that was converted to a turret lathe and am looking for more tooling. I have no collets so am looking for a full set of 5c collets from 1/8 to 1-1/8 in 1/16" increments at a minimum. I also need a releasing tap holder with a 5/8 shank to fit in the turret. I am also interested in miscellaneous toolholders/tooling for the cross slide and turret.

Thanks in advance, feel free to respond via PM or email isaac at. Whetstone workshop dot com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i offer no help other than to commiserate. just drug a really mint dv59 back to the compound myself last week, reasonably well tooled mind you.

hope all is well with you buddy

A used Hardinge TT-5/8 releasing tap holder will set you back about $150 if you shop around, more like $350 if you are impatient. If you're very lucky, you'll get some TT collets in decent condition (they do get chewed up) with the holder. If not, plan on another $15 to $25 per collet. IIRC there are six or seven to a set of TT collets.

5C collets are available under every shrubbery. You can make up a set of used by shopping eBay, hitting up flea markets and Craigslist, or buy a set of moderate quality new imports from the usual suppliers like Travers Tool or KBC Tools. If you use KBC Tools, a set of the house brand costs $110, while a set of the Lyndex brand costs $439. If you buy a new set from Hardinge, you are looking at $1,062 for a set by 32nds (they don't offer a set by 16ths), or $36 each collet. So acquiring collets is strictly a matter of your budget and your requirements for accuracy.

I saw the pictures on IG. That machine looks quite nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's a beaut for sure, absolutely pristine. i really was only going to help my buddy not get taken on a bad mill purchase but even though the seller was highly unmotivated i couldn't say no. now i just need to make room for another lathe somehow, someway...1st world problems amirite?

mine came with a complete set of b&s 21 collets even though it has the production 5c spindle set up. i lucked out with a 3 jaw, a faceplate, production cross slide and a few misc pieces of box tooling, couple of little jacobs chucks, etc.
really looking forward to seeing how much this thing speeds up the production of some of my smaller parts.

i'll be watching the usual sources for tooling so i'll pass anything along that i come up with doubles of, only ask that you do the same in return broski.

AA

Back