What's new
What's new

WTB: Brown & Sharpe No. 10 Taper Horizontal Milling Arbors

rhpope

Aluminum
I'm looking for three Horizontal Milling Machine Arbors to fit a Brown & Sharpe No. 10 taper spindle.

I want them in the following diameters: 7/8", 1", and 1-1/4"

Thanks,
Roger

John,

Yep, sure would be nice if it were still 1940. I had already figure that I will most likely end up making my own.

Roger

Re: arbors

I have the same need. I wonder if it would be possible to re-machine the taper on a nmtb40 arbor. The specs I have seen show the flange to be the same as a B&S10 arbor. The 40 is shorter but only needs to seat well if a draw bar is used.
What do you think?

Must be a coincindence, but I have some NMTB 40 taper arbors that I looked at over the weekend with the same thing in mind and I felt that it will work just fine too and I plan to modify the ones I have in the near future if the real McCoys do not show up soon.

Roger

arbors

Rodger, do you have any '40' arbors to spare? I am restoring some machinery at the Ct. Antique Machinery Museum and need one 1' taper 40 arbor and one B&S10, also 1" dia. I would alter one to fit the Hendey that needs B&S 10.
PM at [email protected] please or call 845-462-3309.

I altered two different Cincinnati spindles to NMTB 50, one #12 and one #14 B&S, but they were both flanged and face keyed spindles to start with. Not hard to machine, just tough.

The #14 required a rear insert to make the taper full length.

Biggest hassle was opening up the draw bar hole to take the 1"-8 draw bar.

Probably not necessary for NMTB 40

Worked fine.

John Oder

John, what machine used a B&S 14? In my search for B&S 13 arbors I haven't found much, and nothing larger. Did these have a large nut at the spindle end to aid in removal? Van Norman put these on but I haven't seen it elsewhere. Without it, I don't know if I'd have been able to remove the stuck taper when I got it home.

I may be able to get a spare spindle to rework.

Do any of the used machinery dealers tend to carry B&S arbors? Searching internet catalogs hasn't yielded much.

John, what machine used a B&S 14?

Cincinnati standardized on B&S 14 from about 1920 until the switch was made to NMTB 50 and 40. No removal nut. All such were flanged and face keyed spindles looking a great deal like the later NMTB, and the arbors and tool holders had notched flanges very much like later NMTB.

If you bought the tiny 1M mill from the 1923 catalog, it came with a 14 BS taper in spindle.

In my linked scan above, you can see B&S did something similar, though not with 14 B&S

John Oder

Back