What's new
What's new

WTB #2 Morse Taper collets for milling machine

savage_hunter

Aluminum
Hello I am trying to get my milling machine up and running and need some collets.

I have a Clausing 8520 but it's missing the draw bar and collets. If anyone has some please let me know.

Thank you.

I have a Clausing 8520 but it's missing the draw bar and collets. If anyone has some please let me know.

You will probably have to make the dawbar, but someone here will probably have the specs. People have used all-thread. You may need to make a special top nut if it has an ejector like a Bridgeport.

As to collets, if nobody here has any, there are tons of them on ebay.

You will also want to get some end mill holders, as they are much more secure in holding end mills with the flat on the side (called a Weldon shank).

Steve

Hi SteveM,

I have a small box full of tanged collets I purchased on Ebay. I intend to remove the tang, then drill and tap the remainder of the collet to use with a drawbar. My only concern with that approach is the overall length of the collet. I don't want to remove so much material that they become too short.

I have been looking at end mill holders but haven't decided on what sizes to buy initially. I also haven't found an inexpensive set of holders.

I am an aspiring hobby machinist that is trying to follow best practices. With 0 machining experience and little time to self educate it's easier to purchase some tooling and get my feet wet. I read as much and as often as I can (also watch youtube videos) so that I become familiar with how things operate and how to properly set up your work.

I have a very creative mind and hope to produce some things which are swirling around up there. Plus it's always fun to show off to the kids when you make something really cool. Hopefully spark their interest and get them involved in something constructive rather than destructive...

Thank you for your advice Steve. If I cannot find a drawbar I'm pretty sure I can fab one up with some all-thread, or maybe chuck up some round stock in the lathe (once I get a threading tool) and make one. Copying existing work is much easier (and flattering according to some old dead guy whom I had to google his name).

Savage

Hello I am trying to get my milling machine up and running and need some collets.

Thank you.

Fastest way to get 'up and running' is an ER system on MT #2 tail. and a partial set of collets. Be there in 2 to 5 days.

You WILL need some sort of drawbar, even though the ER can remain mounted, endmills and collets swapped with wrench. Most of the ER on MT tails out there are already drilled and tapped for that, so the drawbar is all you need to fab yerself.

See also TG and TGNP collets.

#2 MT bores and butts are common enough, collets not so much. For "native" #2 MT collets, the only new source at affordable prices might be Chinese made. H&H or CDCO.

I have #9 B&S from H&H. Decent. Bought 'em only 'coz #9 B&S is going scarce. They stay in in their boxes in favour of side-lock holders or PDQ-Marlin quick-change - which are also side-locks, basically.

Side-locks AKA "Weldon" holders are righteous for mills, collets more for oddball shanks. Only.

Bill

Savage,

Here's what Monarchist was talking about - ER-32 collet system with a MT2 shank:

New List Sale, ER32 Collet Set and MT2 Shank ER32 Chuck | eBay

The main disadvantage is that your tooling will stock out about 1" more than if you use a collet.

I have one of these collet chucks because I have a Brown & Sharpe 7 Bridgeport head and buying this means I can fit anything.

One advantage is that since you are changing tooling in the collet and the taper never leaves the spindle, you are not banging on the spindle trying to get the taper out with each tool change. On the Bridgeport, there are two nut flats and one of them, when you turn it, pushes the collet out so you don't have to bang. Not sure how Clausing does it.

BTW, if you haven't found it already, here's some info on your mill:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing vertical/index.html

Steve

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the great information! I have decided to go the way of the ER32 collets and start saving for side lock holders.

I think i'm going to attempt to use a threaded hex head bolt as a temporary drawbar. I sent an email to Clausing (apparently they still offer NOS parts for this mill) and i'm waiting to hear back from them about a price for an OEM drawbar.

I look forward to getting this machine up and running!

Back