What's new
What's new

WTB 40 taper holders

NMTB is starting to become hard to get. I dont make any NMTB end mill holders but anyway here is my offering in NMTB...

NMTB Tool Holders - MariTool

Try ebay. Maybe you can find some used or new old stock NMTB end mill holders. Good luck.

If you were to go about making them, make them to Erickson Quick Change 40 specifications. A QC 40 is a NMTB 40 toolholder, but a NMTB 40 doesn't have to be a QC 40.

"Either way, pull one lug, use CAT 40, and you have more choices. LOTS more choices. H5 fit, even:"

i have used cat 40 before , but they don't have the neck that a nt40 has, so the drawbar on my cincinnati won't reach.
you may have to make/buy a 5/8-11 collar and stub thread to connect the two.

CAT 40 uses two drive lugs, so i don't understand why you'd remove anything . BT40 does only have one lug , but also
uses a metric thread( M16-2 ) so would need a different stub or drawbar.

I don't remember the details exactly, but I do remember having to mill the drive slots deeper on some of the machine taper variants; Cat and BT I think. The drive slots are there, but asymmetrical. Could probably install a shorter key on one side of the spindle too.

This is going from memory when I was tooling up a Southbend Vertical mill with a 30 taper variant - Weldon "quick change". All the different 30 taper tool holders worked once you got the set screw pockets milled in the shank.

A BT40 with 2 drive lugs unusual?
My NTC has 2

i stand corrected! years ago i ran a kondia vmc w/ bt40 tooling . all the tapers had single keyways - i remember
because some fool tried to put one of the holders in a cat 40 machine- luckily no harm was done.
afaik, they still have metric pullstuds , so a 5/8 to 16mm adaptor would do it.

gbent,
yes the drill chucks are not. They will be in the future but currently our NMT40-ER32, ER16, and ER40 collet chucks are QC compatible. Sorry for the mix-up.

Back