What's new
What's new

WTB: 6x12 or 6x14 Perm or Electro Mag Chuck

WTB: 6x12 Perm or Electro Mag Chuck

I'm looking for a mag chuck for a small surface grinder I just acquired.

I have some type of controller than the seller had given me with the machine, I think it is for 120v, but don't have it with me to check.

A 6x12 should work. The grinder is a Boyar-Schultz 612.

They originally had a MagneLock for the electromagnetic, or Ceramax for Permanent. Boyar-Schults offered both in 5x10 and 6x12 when they sold the grinders new.

Prefer west coast for shipping, and if possible to pick something up in the Bay area, that would be great.

Cheers,
Alan

Attachments

• bs-612-overview.jpg
    bs-612-overview.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
You would normally check the table for flatness and then indicate it as you feed in each direction to see if the ways are true. Once the table is checked out, and any scraping and grinding done, you mount the chuck and grind the top of it on the machine. That means the chuck must be no bigger than the rated travel of the machine, usually 6 x 12 on a 6 x 12 machine.

Larry

See what table travel is actually there and get one shorter - or grinding the mag chuck will leave the ends unground and higher

Good point, hadn't completely thought that out...the travel is 7x13, so it makes sense that 6x12 is the stated size, for the reason you offer. I measured the table and it is exactly 12" long, with 4" t-slots on each end, for the clamps.

You would normally check the table for flatness and then indicate it as you feed in each direction to see if the ways are true. Once the table is checked out, and any scraping and grinding done, you mount the chuck and grind the top of it on the machine. That means the chuck must be no bigger than the rated travel of the machine, usually 6 x 12 on a 6 x 12 machine.

Yes, the plan is to assess things and see what is needed. It has scraped ways, that much was intentional in buying a machine as I can do that myself, but hardened/ground ways not so easy. The seller has had the machine since 1980. His Father gave it to him when he started his own shop in 1980. He retired about 15 years ago and the machine hasn't been used since. He did start it up and it was much quieter than I had suspected. Not a top of the line machine, but it's a pretty clean one that seems to have been taken care of. His shop reflected such as well, always a good sign.

FWIW, I was previously looking at hardened beds and linear ball ways, but was steered towards a simple machine with scraped ways as a machine I could work on myself. :)

Note its about travel of table, not size of table

John,

The actual travel is 7x13 per the manual. I haven't actually measured it but think the manual is accurate.

It will grind a 6x12 chuck.

Thanks for that point, it would suck not to be able to grind the entire chuck at once.

Cheers,
Alan

John,

The actual travel is 7x13 per the manual. I haven't actually measured it but think the manual is accurate.

It will grind a 6x12 chuck.

Thanks for that point, it would suck not to be able to grind the entire chuck at once.

Cheers,
Alan

Had a similar issue but already had the electro chuck that came off a larger machine. I had to put the chuck on a mill and machine a 1/8" step on both ends. Whenever the chuck gets dressed off that deep (maybe in 10 years of more) I'll have to do it again.

Walter

They're a decent machine if everything is in order. Be sure to keep a squirt can of way lube handy and fill the front port and the cup on top frequently. (I can't see the cup that should be on top of yours- find out how it gets oiled. Also pull the rear apron and lube the cross feed screw or it will get ground down to nothing in short order.

Had a similar issue but already had the electro chuck that came off a larger machine. I had to put the chuck on a mill and machine a 1/8" step on both ends. Whenever the chuck gets dressed off that deep (maybe in 10 years of more) I'll have to do it again.

Yeah, since I don't have one to begin with, I'm gonna get the right size and stick with a 6x12.

Would like to get a Suburban 6x12 Permanent if I can find one used.

Last thing I want to do is get upset at the machine, I'd need to take that L0 beater bar, err...I mean L0 wrench to it...NOT (j/k, I wouldn't put my wrench in danger of being harmed, my lathe wouldn't be happy! ;) Intruders is a different story, L0 wrench coming out for any of 'dem...LOL ).

They're a decent machine if everything is in order. Be sure to keep a squirt can of way lube handy and fill the front port and the cup on top frequently. (I can't see the cup that should be on top of yours- find out how it gets oiled. Also pull the rear apron and lube the cross feed screw or it will get ground down to nothing in short order.

Seems in pretty good shape, the seller had it for 37 years, and it hasn't been used for 15. Runs very smooth, and I believe he took pretty good care of it. He knew exactly how to move it, which pieces came off. I put the cross-slide assembly and table on stickers, it was a piece of cake to move. I still have it on my flat bed, I tarped it for the time being until I can shuffle some machines around and get it to my house.

Runs very quiet. :cheers:

Back