What's new
What's new

WTB biax scraper

Just a poor machinist looking for a scraper... I know one of you guys has a biax with a film of dust forming on it that’s just itching to be used.. think of all that money you could have to buy yourself an early Christmas present.. take the misses on a weekend getaway to beautiful, majestic, Paris(Tennessee).. all you can eat shrimp at the Red Lobster.. skies the limit!

There must be a really thick layer of dust on somebody's Biax scraper to exchange it for a dinner at Red Lobster. Even in the majestic La Ville Lumières, TN. ;)

There must be a really thick layer of dust on somebody's Biax scraper to exchange it for a dinner at Red Lobster. Even in the majestic La Ville Lumières, TN. ;)

Red Lobster?

Less likely to get indigestion to eat the dust instead.

Or even the Biax... powered-on..

:(

What do you guys know about the 10-E? What’s it worth? I’m not going into business to be a machine rebuilder. I sit in front of a computer these days. I’ve got a 10ee at home that I’m restoring and will probably do a bridgeport and a shaper eventually. I like having the right tool for the job. But I also want to make the right decision. New is not realistic for me. But I wonder if I should get one that still has parts available.. any help and suggestions would be great.

Especially if you sit in front of a computer, you can find quite a lot of documentation about it on the web. I'd bet that, if you want a car, first you do some homework to figure out if you want a compact or an SUV. Same here.

I do not have any direct experience with a 10E. I believe that it is the lighter model, with shorter stroke, optimal for fine work and finishing. Less optimal for hogging through several thousands in a hurry.

The only Biax scraper I'd consider too specialized, handy mostly only for hogging, is the 7ESM (it's also a few lb heavier than the 7ELM).

But, overall, the question is if the machine is in good shape or not.
As far as the price goes, I believe that $750 (if it is in good shape) is a fairly good deal and, if I hadn't any ethical constraint (the machine has been offered to you) I'd have sent already a PM to kensmachine.

Paolo

Especially if you sit in front of a computer, you can find quite a lot of documentation about it on the web. I'd bet that, if you want a car, first you do some homework to figure out if you want a compact or an SUV. Same here.

I do not have any direct experience with a 10E. I believe that it is the lighter model, with shorter stroke, optimal for fine work and finishing. Less optimal for hogging through several thousands in a hurry.

The only Biax scraper I'd consider too specialized, handy mostly only for hogging, is the 7ESM (it's also a few lb heavier than the 7ELM).

But, overall, the question is if the machine is in good shape or not.
As far as the price goes, I believe that $750 (if it is in good shape) is a fairly good deal and, if I hadn't any ethical constraint (the machine has been offered to you) I'd have sent already a PM to kensmachine.

Paolo

Thanks Paolo
I did research the 10e but there is little to no information about it online. Richard King commented that it was an older 80’s model, fixed speed. Another pm member said they enjoyed for small point chasing and fine detail. That’s about it. No Manuel’s. Is it adjustable for stroke? I did message Ken and I am grateful for his offerings. Just want to be informed. That’s why I’m asking my peers for assistance.
Thanks
Matt

Bill, you are so non-romantic! ;)

Me? Quite the reverse, actually. You do not wanna know how many of the world's truly FINE eateries I have traversed with my Lady in our 50-plus country travels.

And both of us rather exceptional good cooks ourselves in multiple national cuisines?

Far too well served to revert to a Red Slobster meal ever again...

:D

The 10e is possibly already sold pending funds. Anybody else got one?

I'd recommend you up your budget and go for the more general-purpose Biax in known-good condition.

For a non-pro, there isn't much to be saved taking-on a rebuild job of the Biax itself ..when you can get the few machines you need it for done faster with a better one you need not mess with ...and then... sell-it on to the next needful Pilgrim.

They aren't tools a non-pro needs to hoard. Too specialized. Too seldom needed.

I'd recommend you up your budget and go for the more general-purpose Biax in known-good condition.

For a non-pro, there isn't much to be saved taking-on a rebuild job of the Biax itself ..when you can get the few machines you need it for done faster with a better one you need not mess with ...and then... sell-it on to the next needful Pilgrim.

They aren't tools a non-pro needs to hoard. Too specialized. Too seldom needed.

I’m with you. I’m fine with upping my budget. Just need one of these pilgrims to sell so we can get this party started.

Might disagree with Monarchist, I've found, since getting my green 7 Biax that it's getting used at least once a month. And I'm not a pro rebuilder. To the OP, guys like me don't want dinner, we just want the going price. (Mine's not for sale) If you can't afford the going price, wait till one shows up at auction or a recession. Don't mean to sound harsh...

Lucky7

Might disagree with Monarchist, I've found, since getting my green 7 Biax that it's getting used at least once a month. And I'm not a pro rebuilder.

Interesting. More info / examples, please. I'm curious.

If you are not (primarily) doing rebuilds, "pro" or otherwise, are you finding other, routine uses for a powered scraper that do not involve the ways of a machine-tool?

I hadn't thought of it as a general-purpose gadget, but I've been wrong before...

Might disagree with Monarchist, I've found, since getting my green 7 Biax that it's getting used at least once a month. And I'm not a pro rebuilder. To the OP, guys like me don't want dinner, we just want the going price. (Mine's not for sale) If you can't afford the going price, wait till one shows up at auction or a recession. Don't mean to sound harsh...

Lucky7

I hear what you’re saying. What is the going price? I’ve seen numbers all over the board. I’m not, nor have I set a price point for what I’m willing to spend. I will take a deal anytime I can get it and that’s just good business. When I sell something, on the other hand, I try to make someone feel like they’ve got there money’s worth. As for the older biax scrapers. I’m not paying a premium for a tool that is obsolete. It might last 5 minutes or forever but when it’s done it’s done.

Monarchist, stripping baked on gaskets and residue off of emgine blocks. Way faster than by hand. And a quick scrape down bolt area to make it flat enough not to need re-milling.

Also tuning squares and angle blocks. And flattening/ aligning the base of a vise that had the gorrila treatment prior to me. And..

Really, I'm just too inexperienced to know that it's only used on machine ways ;-)

Regards,
Lucky7

Oh yeah, value? I've seen $900 to $1200 for a reasonable condition used green Biax. Another poster on PM noted they seem to go up in price right after one of Richard King's courses!

Monarchist, stripping baked on gaskets and residue off of emgine blocks. Way faster than by hand. And a quick scrape down bolt area to make it flat enough not to need re-milling.

Also tuning squares and angle blocks. And flattening/ aligning the base of a vise that had the gorrila treatment prior to me. And..

Really, I'm just too inexperienced to know that it's only used on machine ways ;-)

Regards,
Lucky7

Oh yeah, value? I've seen $900 to $1200 for a reasonable condition used green Biax. Another poster on PM noted they seem to go up in price right after one of Richard King's courses!

I think that price range sounds about right. I’m hoping to get a few more scraping tools and a nice camelback and take one of Richards classes.

Back