What's new
What's new

WTB - Greenerd No. 3 press pinion

Cosnar16

Cast Iron
Trying to fix up an old Greenerd No. 3 Press I got for $15, the pinion is pretty shot and am in need of a new one, I don't have a dividing head or gear cutters to make a new one. This is the old style with 10 teeth.
thanks
-Eric

can ya post a picture with dimensions- I have one new pinion in my stash but I don't recall what its for- a Dake or a Greenerd. We might just get lucky here!

If the rest of the press is in good shape it might be worth buying one direct from Greenard, the standard press with a slip handle went for several hundred dollars last time I looked. As long as the frame isn't cracked and the bores are good, ram still fits snug and isn't bent I would consider it. The ones with a big pilot wheel or the ratchet mechanism were near a thousand dollars? I bought one that had been used hard and had to make some repairs, gave a couple of hundred for it and consider myself lucky to have it at that price.
Dan

You could carve (hacksaw, grinder, files) one that would be adequate for most applications.

Open up your Machinery's Handbook to Chords Of A Circle to layout the teeth.

Or research "construct decagon".

Or add metal to the existing pinion and file/machine to fit. If using a mill, the pinion itself could be used for close-enough indexing.

Just how bad is it? Pix?

neil

Dan from Oakland, if Eric can't use your pinion, I'm looking for one for a Dake 1-3/4 model 3 ton press.

Just under 9" long
1.142" OD
12 grooves or teeth.

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 110
Does not look like the pinion I have will work for you guys- its 11 teeth and does not have a provision for a ratchet- only a cross hole for the press handle- the OD near the teeth is about 1.140".
Dan

I have a pair of NOS 3C presses both are 12 tooth.

So you just have a couple of 150 Lb presses laying around still in the crate?

I have an aquaintence who was born into money. As long as I've known him he's never worked. Other than a period when he was part owner of a restaurant-deli years ago. He collects high end vintage Italian motorcyles. His house is easily full of a million dollars worth of pristine fully restord 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's MV Augusta's, Ducatis, Guzzi's, Laverda, etc.

In his kitchen, a side table is the original unopened crate, contents is a full race kit for an early 70's Duc 750SS. He has a red & white table cloth draped over it, flowers in a vase...

Are your NOS arbor presses on display similarly? :D

Back