What's new
What's new

WTB: I have quite a few from 1885 but trying to go earlier.

VitalBodies

Plastic
Welcome me,
This is my first post.
An introduction.
I became intersted in machinists tools through trying to learning to do fine woodworking.
My crude remodeling "building supply store" level tools were not up to the task.
Total fail.
Gulp.
Did not give up and started to go deeper.

Machinist tools in most cases ROCKED IT and by far exceeded the task but helped set me straight.
While I still collect machinist user tools for fine woodworking I have developed a passion for antique machinist's hand tools also. Most seem fun and affordable and have some history behind them which I like. :cheers:

My diabolical plan:
I am looking for antique Starrett tools from the very very early days of the company.
I have quite a few from 1885 but trying to go earlier.
Open to those too.

WTB L. L. S. Co. Athol, Mass, U.SA.. 400 bevel 6" rule and no. 300 6" hook rule.

Let me know what you have. PM me (Preferred) or respond here.
Trade is an option too.

Also looking for old paper or downloadable cataloges from before number 21.
Other than eBay where do you find such tools?
Plus, what are you looking for in any era of machinist hand tools, I might have it.

Been lurking here too long...
I love this site and all the amazing info on everything machinist.
Get ready ( in other posts) for some tough questions :scratchchin:

"ROCKED IT" & Pre 1885? Really?

For fine woodworking I often use much newer tools but there are some beautiful antique tools like Starrett dividers, calipers, combination squares, rules, scales, inclinometers and protractors etc.

When did the double square arrive? Another epic tool for fine woodworking.

While not likely machinist calibrated grade tools, they are a pleasure to use on wood.
I get the sense that pre 1885 is a stretch for Starrett tools. 1890 and earlier might be a better goal.

Of course there are also those "Darling" tools of old too. :codger:

A couple of protractor heads from my collection.

IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4207.jpg
Here are two protractor heads with nearly the same patent dates but quite different in appearance.
Note the years. It is interesting how much they changed.
Note this is before they had levels, unless you added one on where you would add a grooved rule.
What are the odds of getting the same day on two patents one year a part?

View attachment 208217
View attachment 208218
Here are two protractor heads with nearly the same patent dates but quite different in appearance.
Note the years. It is interesting how much they changed.
Note this is before they had levels, unless you added one on where you would add a grooved rule.
What are the odds of getting the same day on two patents one year a part?

The odds are zero chance.

The pictures are not clear enough to be sure of the dates, but one is clearly Aug. 7, 188?. I cannot see Aug. 7 on the other item, but the owner says it is the same date.

Patents are only issued on Tuesday, so I looked up the day of the week for August 7 in the 1880's.
1880 Saturday
1881 Sunday
1882 Monday
1883 Tuesday, a possible patent date
1884 Thursday
1885 Friday
1886 Saturday
1887 Sunday
1888 Tuesday, a possible patent date
1889 Wednesday

So apparently the two items were patented in either 1883 or 1888. A bad stamping job can make 3 and 8 hard to distinguish. I suspect both items were patented on the same date, but made a few years apart.

Anyway, here is the Laroy S. Starrett "beveling instrument" patent of Aug. 7, 1883. Patent Images You will note that the patent drawing shows a totally different protractor head, with a level vial, than the two in the photos. I wonder if any like the drawing were ever made. As to the two in the photos not having levels, it would be normal business practice to offer the heads both ways. I think the heads were made in both cast iron and hardened steel. Something cheap and something for the man who wants the best, in other words.

Larry

The pictures are not clear enough to be sure of the dates, but one is clearly Aug. 7, 188?. I cannot see Aug. 7 on the other item, but the owner says it is the same date.

Patents are only issued on Tuesday, so I looked up the day of the week for August 7 in the 1880's.
1880 Saturday
1881 Sunday
1882 Monday
1884 Thursday
1885 Friday
1886 Saturday
1887 Sunday
1889 Wednesday

So apparently the two items were patented in either 1883 or 1888. A bad stamping job can make 3 and 8 hard to distinguish. I suspect both items were patented on the same date, but made a few years apart.

Anyway, here is the Laroy S. Starrett "beveling instrument" patent of Aug. 7, 1883. Patent Images You will note that the patent drawing shows a totally different protractor head, with a level vial, than the two in the photos. I wonder if any like the drawing were ever made. As to the two in the photos not having levels, it would be normal business practice to offer the heads both ways. I think the heads were made in both cast iron and hardened steel. Something cheap and something for the man who wants the best, in other words.

Larry

I think you are right.
Looking closer and in different light, it now looks more like a 3 than a two.
Intersting the difference in the two tools in fit and finish.
IMG_4209.jpg
IMG_4210.jpg
A couple of levels...
IMG_4205.jpg

1880 Saturday
1881 Sunday
1882 Monday
1884 Thursday
1885 Friday
1886 Saturday
1887 Sunday
1889 Wednesday

Larry

Try this patent: US Patent: 289,463 - Bevel
The other tool is a no. 10 inclinometer.
7647E51D-5F9C-474B-9DE7-D003B5082B80.jpg

Last edited:

Back