What's new
What's new

WTB power hacksaw blades

true temper

Stainless
I have a friend looking for some blades to fit his saw. 17" long 1 1/2" wide and 10 tpi. Any one have some extras to part with?

I have a friend looking for some blades to fit his saw. 17" long 1 1/2" wide and 10 tpi. Any one have some extras to part with?

I had zero problem finding about a dozen vendors on eBay for the longer ones my saw uses. Offered anywhere from 3, 5, or 6 packs to assortments to lots of ten and more, new, NOS, and major brands.

I'd double check the length or see if the old blade had a part number. He may be looking for a "nominal" 18", for example.

I am trying to help him a bit he don't do the computer thing. I checked e bay didn't find any thing on that exact size, or any where else.

I am trying to help him a bit he don't do the computer thing. I checked e bay didn't find any thing on that exact size, or any where else.

Doesn't make a damn he does the "computer thing"

Can he use a tape measure and a telephone?

A Lenox Hackmaster V blade is 17 3/8" between mounting hole centres.

Used a tape measure, I did. Hole centre distance is not printed on the blade with all the other who-struck-John.

Lenox - and the world in general - call that an 18" blade. That IS printed on the blade.

Hard to find an 18" 10 TPI blade like these ones:

1PCS- 18" X 1-1/4" X .62 X 10T POWER HACK SAW BLADE SANDVIK HIGH SPEED STEEL | eBay

..by looking for a 17 1/2" blade.

All he has to do if he has not even a remnant with markings is to take that tape-measure and make sure his pins have the RANGE to include the 17 3/8, or within due bounds, either way of it. Usually they have quite a lot of range.

'nuf said?

As an addition to what Monarch stated, do the measurements. Not all blades are the same. Originally Starrett made inch based power hacksaw blades. Later they changed to metric ones with different dimensions, BUT THEY REUSED THE SAME PART NUMBERS. So when I would mail order power hacksaw blades from the industrial suppliers I would get a mix of different blades with the same part number. Unfortunately the old blades fit and the new did not. Starrett's response was basically "Oh well".

I guess I need to go check the saw out my self. He wrote down 17" long, 16 1/2" pin hole. He wants 1 1/2" wide. Had some 1" wide didn't like them.

I guess I need to go check the saw out my self. He wrote down 17" long, 16 1/2" pin hole. He wants 1 1/2" wide. Had some 1" wide didn't like them.

Well.. weird, that. Lost a half-inch somewhere already, has he?

Might help to get the ID of the saw and see what the maker sez.

Not many that do not have a bit of range to the adjusters, so we can hope he just didn't THINK to take TWO measurements for you - min and max on centre-hole span at each end of its travel range.

My one, (Kasto 280 mm X 250 mm) is German-made, and that's metric. It came with a Starrett blade, broken, that I could still read the info off of. Size as previously posted, "lifetime" supply of blades bought off ebay. 18" = 457,2 mm. Should I guess 450 or 460 mm? BFD. The 18" JF fit. No translation required.

They last a long time, each. I just wanted a wide variety, as they are so much faster and easier to change than a bandsaw blade.

And I found that variety. Easily.

Had I not? I don't have a problem in the world as to cutting standard ones shorter and drilling a new hole in HSS. Location of the hole is not usually even hardened. HF Idiot-saw, abrasive chop blade will do if nothing better to-hand. Some can even be snapped-off in a vise, though I wouldn't.

Now.. ANY Power hack saw CAN be fitted with a simple extender to allow use of SHORTER blades. Some folk do that for always-small stock.

I don't think any of that is needed. I think he just needs to take proper min/max measurements for you. Tape measure and wrench thing.

Can't do that? Downgrade him to a common manure fork as primary "machine tool" and let him shovel s**t for a while.

Seriously.

This is a f*****g silly "non-problem" even for the "prior art" of a HAND hacksaw user.

So is letting yourself run out of spare blades in the first place, hence the manure fork.

:D

There is always plan B, find a blade the right depth and tooth count, that is longer than needed. Don't forget to purchase a 3/16 or 1/8" carbide drill (match size on old blade). Lay the old blade over the new one, transfer & drill the second hole, and cut off the excess length with a abrasive wheel or clamp in a vise and snap it.

I have done it a couple of times to make an 8" blade for a hacksaw I keep in my Blacksmith Bag.

Buy longer blades and punch your own holes if it is custom size you want.

crji beat me to it.

There is always plan B, find a blade the right depth and tooth count, that is longer than needed.
The very 18" 10 TPI Sandviks I linked. No need of carbide 'less you already have it. Good HSS drills will do 'em. Holes aren't on the cutting edge, after all.

But .. depth? I got mine, and they are not as tall as he seeks.

My THREE TPI blades surely are. There is a reason for that.

What Sandvik doesn't know about blades or Kasto doesn't know about power hacksaws I ain't got TIME to learn. Manure fork was hard enough..... but that was a while ago..

So. If a person half-way understands the saw?

Just running what they ordinarily ship works well and lasts a long time. There is a reason for that, too.

:)

Buy longer blades and punch your own holes if it is custom size you want.

crji beat me to it.

No air-miles for it, sadly, but we all did...

Now for extra credit..

Givens:

- We can get 1 1/2" high Lenox Cutmaster V in 3 TPI

- We can shorten them

Questions:

How do we alter them to 10 TPI?

And what can we charge for that?

:D

Not as much of a joke as might seem.

HSS ground stock can be had.

Mills exist.

Blade-sharpening grinders exist

Tooth-setting tools exist.

Heat-treaters exist.

Stubborn people exist.

Downside is that the stubborn ones very seldom have any money.

There's a reason for that, too.

The power hack saw I have will take 2 different blade lengths and it doesn't look like rocket science to make shorter fit if needed?
Dan

I've only ever seen one type of PHS that was really finicky as to having very little range of adjustment.

Altering blades, OTOH, is not even Machinist 101, nor Blacksmithing 101, it is Bare-Foot Poor 101, and taught the entire world over at a young age.

Back