What's new
What's new

WTB threading dial for southbend 13" lathe. Or just the worm gear.

MeanMachine1980

Aluminum
My lathe is missing the threading dial and Im having trouble finding one. I may be able to make one if I knew the dimensions of the gear.
Thanks

I traveled the same path. For what it's worth, I had trouble finding a threading dial for my old (possibly 1930's) 13" South Bend. I eventually gave up and bought a similarly-sized dial off of eBay for the body and dial and cut my own gear. Check the lead screw on your machine, since my 13" seems unusual in several respects. No promises my measurements are correct, but for what it's worth, mine appeared to be a 1" diameter 6 TPI acme. Some research (again use at your own risk) suggested the gear blank should be 1.433" diameter. I ground a single-tooth cutter and canted the gear on a 5c spin indexer to mill the teeth. I guessed at the angle based on a couple of other lathes I've got. I don't believe the angle needs to be perfect in order to stay engaged but I haven't fitted it to the lathe yet.

So if you get a better reply than mine, go with that.

And it probably has 24 teeth:D

I traveled the same path. For what it's worth, I had trouble finding a threading dial for my old (possibly 1930's) 13" South Bend. I eventually gave up and bought a similarly-sized dial off of eBay for the body and dial and cut my own gear. Check the lead screw on your machine, since my 13" seems unusual in several respects. No promises my measurements are correct, but for what it's worth, mine appeared to be a 1" diameter 6 TPI acme. Some research (again use at your own risk) suggested the gear blank should be 1.433" diameter. I ground a single-tooth cutter and canted the gear on a 5c spin indexer to mill the teeth. I guessed at the angle based on a couple of other lathes I've got. I don't believe the angle needs to be perfect in order to stay engaged but I haven't fitted it to the lathe yet.

So if you get a better reply than mine, go with that.

Back