What's new
What's new

Wts starett 199 master level

akajun

Stainless
Master precision level with box. Level was surface ground and professionally re scraped by Nick Hughes ( recommended by Richard King) to the proper concave base.
There is one small nick on the side that would take too much grinding to remove but doesn't affect use of the level whatsoever.
Box was re glued and coated in linseed oil. Bakelite top/ handle is new.
Mr Hughes placed a layer of tape on the scraped surface which I have left on in the pics.
350$ plus shipping

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 714
OK, I give up, why would anyone need to re-scrape a Starret 199 precision level?

Because some of us want ours FLAT, not King-concave?

I don't ask mine to support a lathe carriage moving back and forth, use it as a scraping master to rub Dykem, nor mistake it for a Cast Iron lap, so there isn't all that rapid a rate of wear.

I do appreciate them reading the same over ground stock or parallels, wide span or narrow, symmetrical support, repeat position each go. Or none of the above.

2CW

Last edited:
Only used by a little old millwright on Sundays...
that's why I had it ground and re scraped and replaced the bakelite/ mircarta top. It seemed to buck in fine and is repeatable.
I don't think the vial wears out do they? Is mineral oil and air is abrasive to glass?

that's why I had it ground and re scraped and replaced the bakelite/ mircarta top. It seemed to buck in fine and is repeatable.
I don't think the vial wears out do they? Is mineral oil and air is abrasive to glass?

No slam against you, but late in 2015 I bought a 199 off Ebay for under $300 that was in very good condition, without the need for any rescrape or other refurbishment. I just checked the Eb again, and 199's are available for bids of $250 and up (some are crazy high, though).

I suspect if you were to lower your price you could see more action on it. It's tough, I have things I'd like to sell and don't want to "bottom dollar" them, but sometimes to move something you either do that or find other avenues to sell on.

Nit-picking aside, it sounds like a nice-enough level, and one as has been put into good order.

If you are not getting "bites', all I have to say about asking price is that few 'ere paid quite as much for our ALSO "nice-enough" levels.

Ah Milland typed faster... my Scherr-Tumico and Lufkin, both 12" - included re-scraping and were less-costly, yet. Vis, Poland made good levels at even lower prices.

And for no more often than most of us will ever USE them? Even a Chinese one gets the job DONE with no more than our vetting it carefully.

Starrett's name is decent, but hardly magical.

I'm always open to offers, within reason.
As far as the Chinese ones, The one I got from grizzly, I thought was good enough, until I got a surface plate and discovered the rocking base. I just surface ground the high corner to get it flat, but cant do anything with the involute . plus the adjustment sucks.

I'm always open to offers, within reason.
As far as the Chinese ones, The one I got from grizzly, I thought was good enough, until I got a surface plate and discovered the rocking base. I just surface ground the high corner to get it flat, but cant do anything with the involute . plus the adjustment sucks.

Griseley may not have been the best of sources, but surface grinding but one corner is No Fine Way to true up a level sole, either!

Back in a few minutes. I hoard a small "AA" plate for such matters....

That wasn't hard... No issues. Pair of 3" Chinese-made block levels, "Shars" sourced and labelled.

Was your one perhaps DROPPED and dinged-up? I don't think even the Green Bear actually wants to sell useless..

They mought have made it good if asked - and saved you a grinding set-up that isn't the end of the project, anyway.

Have a look here on PM:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ecision-level-324753-post2827023/#post2827023

That particular Lufkin 12" is over on the Herman Grade A plate as I type this, sitting sweet as can be.

I didn't know any better, I was young

Really?

At 15 I already knew to bypass Starrett in favour of better brands.

Mind.. 1960 America still HAD "better brands", China was not a factor, and even Japan and Germany were just barely back to standing on their own legs.

Back