What's new
What's new

Toyoda FV850S - 15K spindle but only 394 ipm cutting?

StreetSpeed

Hot Rolled
Hopefully I'll soon be in the market for a machine to be tended by a robot and run aluminum all year long. Just trying to familiarize myself with what's out there, and this particular machine came up, but on the website it states the cutting feed is 394 ipm. With a 15K spindle and rapid of 1850ipm, why does it only cut at 394 ipm? I'd hope to go double that speed in certain scenarios. Any Toyoda guys care to enlighten me? Am I missing something?

Might be a "clamped" feed rate in G64... I would think with high speed software, the machine should be good for at least 30m of feed (1181 IPM)... although most MTBs rate the max regardless of its accuracies without the proper softwares...

Most MTB websites are loaded with typos and inaccurate data of various types. Your best bet is to get a hold of the specs or rep.... I know, the phone calls and visits can suck but if the "free" info is no good, tough to narrow the decisions....

I don't know, my Toy rep the other day was making note of how slow they are. Really designed more for mold work in tool steels. Lots of grunt, lots of rigidity, but not fast.

I would think a RoboDrill or Brother would be more suited to high speed, easy to configure/integrate, unattended aluminum cutting than the Toy. If you are not a wiz at the integration, then maybe a turnkey Robo may be the ticket. Either way, I think there may be better suited combos than the toy in this instance. I believe Tony (above) has a boat load of Brothers in house that really cook, but I think they do all of their own integration. Make sure your dealer can support your decision, as they could make or break you if you are down or not online in time to meek your contractual needs.

Steve

The basic specification of all Toyoda VMC's can be configured to match the maximum rapid feed rate. Drive tuning to match customer's requirements is the best approach. The S-series VMC's come configured with HPCC + RISC + ATA Data Server w/ 512MB for 600 Block look ahead and they are drive tuned to match the rapid feed of 1890 ipm utilizing machine condition settings.

I will keep my eye on the thread to see if there are other concerns. If you have other questions that require direct feedback, please email me at [email protected]

tjl

Thanks for the reply ToyodaTech. So the machine can go as fast as the rapid, yet they list only 394ipm on the site. Weird. But thanks for the response. And as Psychomill noted, I would need something with some grunt, which I think rules out the 30 taper, 7hp Robodrill and/or Brother-esque machines. I say THINK. I'll let Methods take a crack at some parts should we get to that point...

No problem StreetSpeed. For clarification: We use 394ipm on our "FV" series box-way VMCs that come with a 6K standard spindle. The "FV-S" VMCs with the 15K spindle are capable of a higher cut rate but we still list 394ipm as that is the factory recommended spec. With a parameter change our VMCs can be configured to cut at speeds approaching the rapid feed rate. As with any machine though, your specific application will determine the max cut rate.

Back