What's new
What's new

Toyoda Stealth 1165 vs Samsung

dt2

Plastic
which would you choose? Which is smaller investment initially? Will direct drive 12k rpm spindle cause a noticeable amount of lost rigidity?

which would you choose? Which is smaller investment initially? Will direct drive 12k rpm spindle cause a noticeable amount of lost rigidity?

Can't say much about the Samsung, as I have no experience there. Looked at the Toyoda Stealth at IMTS, as we are seriously looking at a Cat 50 box way machine. The 1680 is the same frame as the Stealth, but without the options stripped off to make it more affordable. We need the options, and adding them to the Stealth, even part of them, puts the price back up to the 1680 price range, thus our consideration of the 1680.
Getting down to what I saw and what I know about machinery. As I said, the frame is the same on the Stealth and the 1680. This is the heart and soul of a machine tool. If the frame ain't sufficient, all the bells and whistles in the world won't make it do your job. And the Toyoda has one hell of a stout frame. I was extremely impressed by the way it is buttressed, and by the fact that Toyoda uses different cast iron for different parts of the frame. Where it needs super hard for rigidity and wear resistance, they use one type of iron. Where they need to dampen vibration, they use a little different, "softer" type. Still hard as the hinges of hell, but not the same as where the other is called for. This shows a lot of common sense and field feedback were used in the thought processes for the machine.It may not be that they are the only ones to do this, but they're the only ones to tell ME that they do.
The angle in the frame where the chip augers run is another place where a lot of field feedback has been employed. The casting is cast at a steep enough angle that the chips want to fall into the auger. Lots of machines are made so flat that the chips want to lay there, you have to wash or sweep them into the auger. Toyoda has it on such an angle that the operator doesn't have to fight the chips so much. Every little thing helps.
Samsung probably has some features going for them too. Reputation is good for the company. But if the price is the same, that Toyoda is going to be tough to beat.

Last edited:
If I were to try to sell you a 1990 IBM computer for $500 would you purchase it? Both those machines are just out sourced. Samsung lost their builder last I heard and now they are scrambling to find a new one. Toyoda has a hard enough time supporting their horizontals which they actually build. In the long run a deal on either of them isn't going to look that good. If you really just want a risky cheap machine I would find who ever imports the version they are copying for the cheapest. Why pay for the Toyoda name? I believe SMTCL was building some of Samsungs machines and now that SMTCL is starting to import to the US they stopped building for them, not sure how long Samsung will be around and kicking. A four year warranty wouldn't look so great on a Fadal 4 years ago.

I also can't say anything about Samsung, and the "new" Toys are built by a different builder than Awea that built the one we had. After 8 spindles, I threw in the towel, and Toyoda only supported it for a short while before calling it quits with a crashed spindle story. Anyway, depending on where you are located (other than "USA" as noted by your profile) make sure you are going to get serviced properly. When we bought the Toyoda, Methods was the distributor, and shortly after we bought it, Methods and Toyoda split leaving us less than well supported.

You may want to look into a Doosan or Feeler, but make sure you have good support from whoever you purchase it from.

Steve

Back