What's new
What's new

1 hp Bridgeport. Need vfd

orionrising

Plastic
I am purchasing a Bridgeport with the attached motor nameplate. I am reading it as wired for 3 phase and assuming the 230 volt sticker is right I will need 3.3 amps at 60 hz on each leg. I can supply it with 110 or 220. Reading previous toics there is discussion of not trusting the hp listings and oversizing thevfd. What vfds would be suitable for this.
4aac1cc7b8167078359e3ce581acb878.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers to this question, because opinions and experiences differ grately. But, here's mine for what it's worth.

I got and am very happy with a 2HP Teco FM50 VFD I got from FactoryMation (free shipping and no sales tax). It has been working fine on my 2HP Bridgeport J2 head and is a decent name brand at a very reasonable price.

It is my opinion as long as both the horse power rating AND the output current are rated for your size motor you will be OK getting a 1HP VFD and not oversizing. But, if the motor's max. input current is higher than a particular 1HP VFD output current then I would move up. I ran into this problem using the same 2HP Teco VFD on a SB lathe with a 2hp motor. The motor's nameplate current was higher than the max output current of the 2HP drive even though the HP for both VFD and motor were rated at 2HP. So, I ended up buying an inverter rated motor for that machine.

My two cents,
Ted

A Motortronics CSD 202 came with my 2hp Bostomatic so I bought a used Motortronics CSD 201 on ebay for $100 for my 1hp 1J Bridgeport. Works fine. Got the same on my 1hp Hardinge HCT.

Perhaps I'm making this too easy or, there's something I don't understand but I purchased a PhazPak Solid State Phase Converter from H&W Machine Repair(Phase Converters) and it works great for my 1HP Bridgeport. The one they have listed today for a 1HP motor is: $80.00.
I've also used the PhazPak converter for my 5HP LeBlond lathe(1944 model) and it's working fine, too. It was only $76.00 because it did not come with the metal box/enclosure.
Anyone know why this would not be an acceptable solution to this problem?
If so, please discuss here... any/all input is welcome...

Back