What's new
What's new

1ph ac gear motor wiring questions

kielbasavw

Aluminum
I can get ahold of a dayton single phase ac gear motor for $50. I want to use it to power a bead roller. The motor is 30rpm and I need it down to about 5rpm. It has 800inlbs of torque which would he real nice for a bead roller, and is reversible.
I was wondering what are my options to getting the motor to be usable for my purpose? Vfd? Some sort of potentiometer? (Is there a better option of specs I should be looking into for this project?) I'd like it set to be rpm adjustable, foot pedal and reverse here is the link to motor. The actual motor I'm looking at is 2z794D. I cannot find a link for the part# with D but the linked with out it seems to have same spec? Thank you
DAYTON AC Gearmotor Nameplate RPM 3 Enclosure ODP - 2Z794'|'2Z794 - Grainger

if you had some aggressive cooling to the motor you could wire up two foot pedals for a reversible permanent split capacitor motor.

like this http://kh6hak.tripod.com/webonmediacontents/MotorDiag.jpg

instead of a switch, you have two variable resistance foot pedals. don't step on both at the same time! this isn't a very electrically friendly application. you will burn a lot of power in the resistance pedal, and the motor.

I may have a 30ish rpm motor of similar build to that link you provided, but if 1/2rd hp is enough torque at 30 rpm, its going to be able to produce too much torque at 5 rpm if you drop the rpm with a chain or gear drive, if that matters. to reverse that motor you will need an dpdt switch to reverse the polarity of the start winding, it may not even have a capacitor, mine do not iirc. as such, you won't be able to run it at low speed without a vfd and some shenanigans.

there is a way to use a 3 phase vfd to run a 2 phase split capacitor motor, but at minimum it requires a transformer of arbitrary ratio, custom for each motor to get the phase current right. worst case is you need an additional transformer, but it can be a 1:1 ratio or a 2:1 auto transformer of the same nominal voltage as the motor/vfd.

if you use a vfd then you can get the torque you want without excessive motor heating, but its hard to find a vfd that has true torque control. variable rpm is easy, you can wire up the potentiometer in a foot pedal to most any vfd. but you'll still need an additional switch to control direction.

It sounds like I'm better off with a different motor? Would a DC motor be more suitable? What exactly should I be looking for. This is a budget home build, so I'm basically stuck with what ever sort of comes up within budget.
Thanks

the simplest treadmill motor controls are a simple SCR drive and you can reverse them with a dpdt switch and control the speed with a potentiometer. you have to wait for the motor to stop turning before reversing them because when you flip the motor polarity the motor is shorted out through a diode (this isn't a problem if the motor is turning rather slowly). I have such a drive where the dpdt switch itself doesn't let you flip directions instantly without stopping in the middle (which is off) and releasing pressure off the switch, then pressing it again to go in reverse, so i know they exist but i don't know what the nomenclature of such a switch is.

depending on what kind of work you are doing you would want instant reversing with a single or dual foot pedal. i'm sure someone else has some advice, i can't think of a good way i would do that with the stuff i have on hand right now.

If you wanted to go the dc route have a look here.

MTR DAYTON DC Gearmotor 9VDC, Nameplate RPM':' 34, Max. Torque':' 822 in.-lb., Enclosure':' TEFC - 6Z414'|'6Z414 - Grainger

Controller DART CONTROLS DC Speed Control,NEMA 4'/'12,1'/'2VDC Shunt Wound Volts, to 9'/'18VDC Voltage Output,1 Max. Amps - 6Z386'|'253G-2E - Grainger

Or the other option is to use a 3 phase motor with a external gearbox suitable for your speed and torque requirement, then add a VFD to get your speed and reversing controls.

SAF Ω

With a treadmill motor, I assume I'd need to gear it down? Aren't they like 5k rpm?
Used Treadmills are cheap, if it's easy to adapt to get enough torque and low enough rpm I'm all ears

not all treadmills are fast. a fairly common one is 2600 rpm at 124 vdc.

a household dimmer switch can be used with a bridge rectifier to drive a dc motor. just don't turn it on too quickly, and its open loop so the speed will not be very consistent. but its the cheapest way to drive it.

Back