What's new
What's new

WJ200 wiring to lathe switches, HELP

RAM

Aluminum
i have a Hitachi SJ200sf (1ph in - 3ph out, 3hp) to run my lathe. i have the motor wired directly per manual and did the initial setup/program functions and did the startup run test and all worked fine. although i did notice my VFD did not have some of the program functions like the F082 (if i remember right) and on had F085. not sure why. did not have a program function code to select the number of motor poles either. still the start up run test worked.

i now want to wiring my existing lathe contol switches (forward, reverse, jog, foot brake, on/off) to the logic on the VFD. my existing control panel on lathe has all the switches running through main power supply (3ph in) to contactors to operate the motor and coolant pump (3ph) and has two legs branch to another contactor and jumped to feed a 240v transformer that reduces (?) to 24v whic feed another contactor for the switches. the switches are wired through the different contactors as well.

i ran a separate power feed (240v, 1ph) to wire back up the original contactor/transformer and test the switches to see if all would work as original and they did. i know want to wire to the logic terminals on the VFD and not sure if i can just pull a 18gaugesheilded wire to top of an empty terminal on the contactor at lathe and a return 18gauge back to terminal 1 at VFD for the forward, and so on.

dont want to mess up my VFD so i ask here for guidance.

while tryin got figure/understand the wiring from the CD prived with VFD I took a few minutes to get use to going through the progamming for the logics i went to the "C" function codes to find i do not have many options in this section. there is C001, then C022, 24, and one other.

help. or do i have a bad VFD

Ron

First..

No Need to use any of that old moldy contactor/relay equipment. You can abandon in place, if you wish to go back to using 100 year old tech later.

No need to use a control transformer either. The VFD even eliminates the need for Heaters, motor protection is provided by VFD.

VFD MUST be in an enclosure, shielded from dust/chips. HIGH VOLTAGE Line IN and OUTPUT terminals are exposed on the VFD....

The VFD control wiring should be ALL LOW VOLTAGE (and shielded), and the control power supplied by the VFD.

The individual switches the machine is using now for jog, FWD/RVS, and foot brake, are all you need.

No switches/relays/anything from VFD output to motor input . It must be wired direct to motor...

Run shielded wire to the control switches and wire into the VFD CONTROL TERMINAL STRIP.

If you can't sit down and read that boring manual (including all programming settings) 3 times through, you will never see that certain functions have to be enabled, some override others, and some only work with 2 wire controls vs 3 wire controls.

i have a Hitachi SJ200sf....i did notice my VFD did not have some of the program functions like the F082 (if i remember right) and on had F085........i do not have many options in this section. there is C001, then C022, 24, and one other.

help. or do i have a bad VFD

Ron

ron, set b031 & b037 to get access to all the 'missing' parameters.

Back