What's new
What's new

Blanchard 18c-36 transformer question

zoe

Aluminum
Hello to all
I have searched and read much but wanted ask my specific question so I full understand.
I just bought a Blanchard 18c-36. It is a 1968 model. It was running in the previous shop at 440. It says it can run either 440 or 220. We do not have 440 coming into our shop so I must use 220. I changed the jumpers in the cabinet on the input to the 220 terminals and then I was told that each of the 5 motors including the 30 hp main grinding wheel motor needed to be switched over. Is that correct ? Some of the wires have lost their labeling which makes the task a bit scary.
Is it also true that the magnetic starters will need to be changed ?
And what are the heaters I hear about :) ?
If it says it can run either voltage, could it be setup to run with just changing the leads on the motors and nothing else ??

Or us it best to use a transformer.
I was thinking a 30kva from my research here.
When it says primary voltage, that is what comes into the transformer... Correct ?
I notice a huge price difference from ones that say primary 480 to 240 secondary, and ones that step up ...if im reading it correctly, why is that....
And if possible could someone tell me exactly what I need :) and where to get it used and inexpensive :-)

I'm in the dark and want to understand thanks so much for reading through my rattling brain !!!

Thanks so much in advance !!!!

All motors must be reconnected, any that have only 3 leads in the junction box have been rewound and cannot be reconnected without a trip to the motor shop.
Many motors have metal tag wire numbers on the wires in the junction box.
Each motor should have 6 splices with 2 wires in each splice inside the junction box. If something else, post a picture of what you have.

Yes all heaters need to be replaced with the correct size for each of the motors.

A picture of the jumpers that you changed would be a good idea to determine what was converted. Also a picture of the "It says it can run either 440 or 220." would be useful too.

A list of motor sizes would be needed if the transformer to provide 440 is going to be used.

Bill

Back