What's new
What's new

Best place to buy NEMA enclosures

dxhall

Aluminum
I'm converting all of the machines in my shop to VFDs from a phase converter. I'm in shock at the prices of NEMA enclosures, even at the usually-reasonable places like factorymation. Is there a cheaper place out there? $47 for a three-hole operator box makes me think I'm in the wrong business.

I'm converting all of the machines in my shop to VFDs from a phase converter. I'm in shock at the prices of NEMA enclosures, even at the usually-reasonable places like factorymation. Is there a cheaper place out there? $47 for a three-hole operator box makes me think I'm in the wrong business.

Basically Hoffman sets the price, everyone else sells at the same price or slightly lower to grab some market share from them. They could probably sell for less, but people are apparently willing to pay more.

Alternatives:
Weigman / Hubbell (Automation Direct)
Saginaw Control Enclosures (SCE)
Cooper / B-Line
Eldon (Factorymation)

Hammond, Eurobex/EXM, Bel (all Canadians)

Hammond

I strongly recommend Hammond Manufacturing. Although they're Canadian they have a broad network of distributors in the US, including every major online electronic distributor.

Their website at www.hammondmfg.com includes an online catalog, downloadable catalog and price list, and a distributor locator.

We use them exclusively for the enclosures and power transformers for our products.

Excellent quality and an excellent company.

- Leigh

Mouser www.mouser.com
Newark www.newark.com
Allied www.alliedelec.com

Are you just trying to protect the VFD from dust and thrown objects? :)

I've repurposed various metal boxes for that use.

If you are looking for junction boxes, it can be cheaper to buy a small load center, put the internals and the cover on a shelf, and cut a cover from sheet metal.

Electricians will occassionally buy a load center for the internals, and install into the existing box. No need to rip out the old box, if the new internals fit.

You can put a Wanted ad in the Materials category of craigslist.

You could call around the local factories and ask if any are doing the 5-S 'purge' :)

Electronic Enclosures - Custom Enclosure - NEMA Rated Enclosures - Rack Mount Enclosures - Outdoor Enclosures - APX Enclosures, Inc.

I used to work for this company's predecessor. The quality engeineering and manufacturing people people left the original company (Hennessy Products) and went out on their own and formed this company about 10 years ago. Quality products at competitive prices... I would highly recommend them even though I have had no further connection with them since I left in 1990... they are proud of the quality they produce.

It sounds to me like the OP wants control stations and the like. Since this is for a small shop, he only needs a few, and they don't really have to match, I'd try e-bay. There is an awful lot of NOS (New, Old Stock) available from different vendors. I've used this route to find replacement Burnham boiler controls, replacement Vickers valves for molding presses, and occasional motors and motor control items, all at a fraction of the cost of new. The key is, you need to know what you are looking for (and a multiplicity of names it could be called) before you search.

Dennis

Back