What's new
What's new

240 Single Phase to 480 Three Phase

mowgyver

Plastic
So here is my project. I need 480 V three phase for a plasma cutter... Incoming power is 240 single phase. I have a three phase step up transformer (45 KVA 240V/480V) and a 10 HP 460 V three phase motor for the rotary part... Any issues running single phase 240 through the transformer to get single phase 480 V (not using one leg of the transformer). Then using this to power the motor?

Finally I have 440 V start and run caps... Are they too low for 480 or do I need specifically 480 V rated caps? Thanks...

Is the motor a single voltage (460) only? Or is it a dual voltage (230/460)?

Your capacitors have too low a voltage rating for the 460V RPC.

A 240V RPC would be my choice and use the transformer as a step-up.

A 240V RPC would be my choice and use the transformer as a step-up.

I agree. That is the proper way of doing it. Put the three phases in through the transformer.

Off topic, how did mowgyver manage to not include a location in his profile? I thought it was mandatory.

Hi.. Motor is not dual rated... I have the motor and transformer from surplus leftover. It should work as I describe with the correct caps... famous last words. :)

Yes, it is always nice to use what you have. I think getting the right caps will be your issue. Whenever I see caps that are rated in the range you will need the capacitance value is very low, and the package is huge.

What brand and model of plasma power supply ?

Sometimes they can be reconnected for 240 vac 3 phase.

The most times I have seen "one voltage only" was 575 vac.

Don’t believe the previous factory installation placards as the only way to run the cutter. Take a look at the manual.

My miller inverter welder will accept 240 single, to 480 triple.

If it’s an inverter unit (one man carry), read the manual.

Regarding the power conversion system, that's how I run mine, 240 1P to step up transformer to motor and out. Capacitors are oil filled. Been using it that way for 40 years.

Tom

Hi again... Its an ESAB PCM 875... But its setup for 460 3 phase... For 240 Single it looks like I need to replace internal boards... Didn't check that far....

@Tom.. What voltage CAPS are you using for your setup?

Hi again... Its an ESAB PCM 875... But its setup for 460 3 phase... For 240 Single it looks like I need to replace internal boards... Didn't check that far....

@Tom.. What voltage CAPS are you using for your setup?

I didn't say that it may work on 240 vac single phase.

I said (and please go back and read what I wrote) see if it can be simply
re-configured (moving jumpers) for 240 vac THREE PHASE

Yeah I have the manual.... but from it... I did not call ESAB yet.. I think I have to change boards out to get it to work on 230 V if it is setup for 460V.

"Be sure that the power source is properly configured for your input power supply.. DO NOT connect a power source configured for 208/230 V to a 460V input power supply. Damage to the machine may occur."

I have an ESAB 875 plasma cutter which has a board on the back of the welder with jumpers to move for different input voltages and for single phase or three phase operation. This setup is all on the outside of the cutter. I operate mine on single phase but the thickness it will cut is less than when 3 phase is used. Look at the back of yours to see if you have a board with jumpers to allow you to set it up for 230 or 240 volts three phase.
Bruce

Back