What's new
What's new

2HP Press Brake. Static, RPC, or VFD?

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I just acquired a small 25 ton press brake that runs on 230V 3Ph to power a 2HP motor. I've been around static, RPC, and VFD's but since I haven't applied it to a hydraulic pump system, I'm wondering what's the best approach to convert single into three phase and be sufficient to get full power?

I recently made a RPC purchase from a well known domestic company but then they called to ask what I was using the RPC on. Once I told them, they wanted to upsell me to a higher end unit that cost twice as much as their economy version that I just tried purchasing. I just cancelled the order until I could find out more. I know they're intentions are well, but I still would like to know my other options.

I did see the Hitachi single phase in, three phase out 3HP VFD online. I was wondering if this is a suitable option? I read that some VFD's have pump programs pre-installed. I've only messed with Siemens and Mitsubishi VFD's which still needed manual entry.

Thanks

Hydraulic pumps are probably the toughest starting machine you can find. First a static converter is out it just won't work. And as you've found most rotary converter companies will tell you you need 2x the HP to start this type of load. A smaller RPC may work but no one calls them to complain that the load started find. Two times the HP isn't unrealistic. If this is the only load you have then the VFD is definitely a good option. Stick with name brand units like the Teco or Hitachi units.

I just broke down and got the RPC. It's the AR ADX model. Does what it needs to do.

Back