What's new
What's new

3 Phase welder of Single Phase (new question based on all the old threads)

gerlbaum

Plastic
So after reading all the threads I could find on 3 phase Welders run off single phase (transformer type not inverter) on PM and other websites it seems pretty clear they run with just two legs hooked up with the exception of a welder with voltage sensing that won't allow it to run on single pause. Granted it will be reduced power output (by 1/3 or more) and duty rating.

However I read on another forum where I guy hooked single phase to L1 and L3 and then put a jumper (from either L1 or L3) to L2, essentially running two of the coils of the transformer in parallel. I was just curious if this was a better method, would be worse, etc...I am not an electrician or engineer by any means but it would seem all coils of the transformer would be powered, but the two running in parallel would only be half powered. In the same post it was suggest it is best to run the welder in 460 configuration if doing this. I of course have No idea why.

I appreciate any of the smarter folks explaining this to me.

Thanks

So after reading all the threads I could find on 3 phase Welders run off single phase (transformer type not inverter) on PM and other websites it seems pretty clear they run with just two legs hooked up with the exception of a welder with voltage sensing that won't allow it to run on single pause.

Not really.

Here you go:

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/misc/CP-200_Single-Phase_Step-By-Step.pdf

About the Haas-Kamp conversion

The Haas-Kamp method utilizes a simple process for fully
powering a 3-phase welding transformer with single-phase
power. In a properly powered 3-phase transformer, the
incoming power’s 3-phase sequence occurs at 120 degree
intervals (360 divided by 3 = 120 degrees). The operating
result in a 3-phase transformer, is magnetic circulation that
occurs in a figure-8 pattern between coils A, B, and C.

Many people attempt to convert surpus 3-phase welders to
single-phase power by connecting some or all coils of the
welding transformer to be powered by a single-phase line.
While this frequently results in a certain amount of operational
capacity, it is usually very limited- either output current or
voltage, and poor arc stability. The reason for poor and limited
performance, is because the 3-phase transformer is designed
in such a way that magnetic circulation occurs in a figure-8
through each coil in sequence, but when using the ‘common
methods’, the sequence doesn’t exist, so the transformer’s
magnetic strength is crippled by eddy currents.

The Haas-Kamp conversion method utilizes a wiring technique
that does precisely that, by connecting the two outer coils of the
transformer 180 degrees out-of-phase, and driving the MIDDLE
coil 90 degrees out-of-phase, the magnetic flow sequence
circulates through the transformer core as was originally
designed.

Once the sequence has been established, the cores are able to
generate output, and as a result, the welding supply’s output is
same as if it were running on genuine three-phase power.

I have been trying for days to change a 3 phase transformer to single phase power . I used the Haas-Kamp capacitor conversion . Work out the formula and turned out to be 22uf But voltage on B coil was only 6.3volts , Tryed again with 60uf and voltage on B coil was 31V . Think the problem is that in my country we use only 1 live wire and a neutral with a 240v supply. Can anyone help Please

I suggest you start a new discussion here, as your question is different in some ways from the original posting here.

When you start the new discussion, mention what power level you are working with. The capacitor sizes you mention are rather small.

Back