What's new
What's new

Silly question about load reactor

fpworks

Stainless
Sorry about this...I looked this up a while back and I just want to confirm.

Each coil on the load reactor has two terminals. When installed as a load reactor does it matter which terminal on the respective coil (on the reactor) is the input or output?

Thanks for straightening me out.

Justin

"... does it matter which terminal on the respective coil (on the reactor) is the input or output?"

No, as the device is a passive, "two terminal" device.

I suppose these should be mounted at angles to each other, rather than parallel to each other, to minimize the "mutuals" (mutual impedances, due to the electric and magnetic fields interacting).

There MIGHT be a reason to connect them in a particular way.....

The usual function of the reactor is either to block noise (small ones) or limit fault current (large ones).

By choosing one connection over the other, you are also choosing the relative polarity of the magnetic field vs other adjacent inductors.

In the case of a small EMI inductor, that might affect whether it couples into an adjacent one as "phase adding" or "phase cancelling". There is probably a better polarity and a worse polarity.

In the case of a fault current reactor, polarity may affect the forces exerted on the structure if a heavy fault current is encountered.

Back