What's new
What's new

3HP SHARP mill phase conversion

GRHebard

Plastic
hey guys, i'm a young hot rod/chopper fabricator, with even less electrical experience. i've been on the forum now and then to learn a little bit about machinery, but this is my first time posting anything. i searched the forum a little bit for this, but didnt seem to find anything too specific to my situation. if you know of a thread that can help, please link me to it. thank you

so, i just got a 3HP Sharp knee-mill, when i had picked it up, i wasn't sure if it was single-phase or three-phase, the wiring was messed up coming out of the switch because of how it had been removed from the previous shop. The motor said 3-phase, but the previous owner could've sworn it was single phase.

heres what i'm working with:

C0C733FE-967C-4EE8-8E40-AD399E166B74.jpg

1C48C330-D4DC-4121-8F79-224CE4987E93.jpg

730FA8A6-753E-47AD-A5AC-265353A30C8B.jpg

heres the tag on the motor
46F2A572-53A5-450C-B582-64D7E2D6D23C.jpg

4814101B-19EF-4323-B8B5-BE107CEC6EC8.jpg

heres the wires in the backside of the switch
7C325C69-0C47-499C-A522-DAFE2A55142C.jpg

heres the tag on the switch (the 'POWER REQUIREMENT' tag below has no info on it :angry:)
DF2FEC14-3A81-423B-81C4-D06B1734F444.jpg

inside the switch
522F6298-9979-415D-BFF4-BD59279708CC.jpg

and finally, the wires coming out of the switch. three wires, coming out of the 4-wire cable..
9F39A6E4-F83D-4BB2-B682-4672A7CF015E.jpg

so i think ive determined that its all setup for three-phase, right? the wires coming out of the switch is just missing one, like it had been broken or ripped out or something..

anyway, if it is in fact 3-phase, i'll need to figure out a phase converter situation.. heres what i've found so far, but i really don't know the first thing about all this..

PhazPak PR-3, 3 H.P. Phase converter full assembly - CSH Electric Motor Supply

HD 3 - 5 HP Static Phase Converter Mill Drill Saw MADE IN USA Single to three | eBay

are these good options? am i already on the wrong track?

thanks for the help!
-Greg

I run a BP on a static and have for years no issue. You will only have aprox 2/3 rated power with any static. Your second option's price scares me,must be all solid state to be that cheap.If you plan any other 3 phase tools a rotary converter system is the most practical cost wise.And non clutched lathes do NOT like static converters.

The static converter should be a last ditch choice.

Your situation is typical. A Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) or Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) is what you need. There is enough information here to get you fully setup. In a lot of cases the same things have been discussed over and over again.

As with post 3 above I firmly believe you should stay away from static converters.
Over the years I have seen tons of statics removed and Rotary's installed in there place.
If you size a little on the larger side then you as you purchase other 3 phase equipment you will be good to go.

I am not a big fan of static converters. BUT.... I have seen a lot of them used on bridgeport style mills with good results. They do not seem to be as limited by the power issues as other machines.

A static on a 1Hp Bridgeport might be good enough. His motor plate says 3Hp. Might be good enough, might not. The individual has to ask "How far am I willing to go with all of this", and "How much money is this worth".

I neglected to mention a Electronic Phase Converter. Like a Phase Perfect. A few thousand bucks. (That's why I didn't mention it).

Back