What's new
What's new

Run caps and their application

James Rogers

Aluminum
I have a 10 HP phase converter that I have been running for a couple of years to power a Bridgeport and a South Bend 16" quite successfully. I recently acquired a FG 10,000 Van Norman flywheel grinder. This machine is 10 HP on the grinder head with a magnetic starter. When I try to start it with the start button the magnetic chatters (for lack of a better term) won't kick in and won't start the motor. It kicked the motor so hard once the grinder stone unscrewed and fell off. I have never checked the voltages on the converter and never used any run caps. I am also finding the grinder motor pulls 17.8 amps on the L1 and L2 hot legs but only 5 amps on the made leg L3. I can push in on the magnetic and the motor starts right up but when it is under load (3 or 4 flywheels) it gets pretty hot. I figure the made leg is not producing enough voltage and the motor is single phasing. How would I add run caps and what size should I look for to fix this.

TIA.

OK, this morning I switched the 3 legs around so I could get a hot leg to the starter and it works great now. I still need to know how the run caps should be hooked and approx. what size I need to equal out the legs so the amp draw will be the same if possible. This siteis great, I would have never been able to build the RPC or get what I have working without it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back