What's new
What's new

Vfd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeep4x4greg

Plastic
I'm picking up a Wells Index Mill in a week or so from a guy I know. The mill is currently set up for a 3 phase input VFD to the 3 phase Motor.

I am still pricing out what it will cost to get 3 phase to my garage (have an appointment with electrical guy next week), but I have a feeling that getting a single phase input VFD will be cheaper and easier.

Who do you use to buy VFD's? I'm looking at the GE af 300 Mini......any recommendations would be great. I'm in the Midwest and have found a few, but want to make sure I'm not buying form a shady place. also....I have no idea what I'm doing...so good support is important.

Whats the resale value of a 3-phase to 3-phase VFD on ebay or something? Its also a GE Mini AF300 (my understanding is it cannot be fed with single phase input, hence the shopping for a new one)

let me know!

FWIW your vfd will probably work fine on single phase input but you are supposed to de-rate the output by about 40%. You can probably do this by setting amp parameters on the drive. You can also feed the drive with a home made RPC. Some body here may know if the GE AF MINI uses a rectifier that is big enough to use on single phase right out of the box. Many industrial drives under 3hp were set up like that, even if it never occurred to the maker to label them for single phase they used a bigger rectifier than required for 3 phase.
Rob

"let me know!"

There are SO MANY options.

For a long while, the TECO/Westinghouse FM50 was the best option in 3 HP and less, although I generally installed FM100s in my machines.

Almost all 3 HP and less VFDs now offer single-phase/three-phase input without de-rating.

Now there are several 5 HP VFDs which offer single-phase/three-phase input without de-rating.

Pretty soon, I would guess there will be 7-1/2 HP VFDs which offer single-phase/three-phase input without de-rating.

After all, a 5 HP VFD which accepts single-phase without de-rating is really just a 7-1/2 HP frame VFD (and its all-important "converter section") with a 5 HP "inverter section".

I am still pricing out what it will cost to get 3 phase to my garage (have an appointment with electrical guy next week), but I have a feeling that getting a single phase input VFD will be cheaper and easier.

Understatement of the year. You are in for a sticker shock experience when the utility gives you a price. In addition, they may not fully explain the issues around demand charges and power factor penalties that come with 3 phase services in most areas, so be sure to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back