What's new
What's new

460 to 230 Conversion Help

micromeister

Plastic
Hello,...I have a Cincinnati Hydrashift 19" engine lathe. I need to convert this machine from 460 Volts to 230 Volts...was wondering if all I need to do is change the heater contacts and motor wires. I havent done this conversion myself before...but overlooked someone doing it a couple years back. ANY help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John in Houston.

The only other thing would be the coil voltage or transformer hookup. If there is no control transformer (Down to say 110v or 24VDC) then the coil will need to be changed to the new voltage. If there is a small trans in the cabinet - then you would just need to rewire the HV side of it.

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

480 to 240

Another consideration is the size of the magnetic starter as starters are rated by current and the 240 current will be twice the 480 current. This may not be so critical on a home shop that is not worked too hard, but if the present starter is marginal it may require an upgrade, if the present starter is on the heavy side you probably will be ok, worst case senario is shorter contact life.

Back