460 to 230 motor wiring diagram ?

Korbas1

Plastic
Hello all, im a newbie to the site. My 60 yr old father
Recently lost his job. (After 33 yrs) due to his age and
A very greedy owner. None the less I have just completed
The build of my first RFC. Im ready to change the wiring from 460
To 230 3 phase, and I cannot find a wiring diagram on line
Or on the machine to do so. Anyone have a link or any info on this machine?
Thanks in advance

Heres some info on the motor
GE TRI CLAD
MODEL- 5K180DJ638
3/4 HP
I HAVE SEARCHED THREADS AND INTERNET WITHOUT MUCH LUCK
I would assume motors of the same brand and era would be similar

If it has NINE numbered wires in the terminal box on the motor itself:

(line wires feed the motor - since it is in RPC service, you will only have two of the three, and the open winding left over - say T2 and T8 - will be where you extract your "manufactured" phase

Line 1 to T1 and T7
Line 2 to T2 and T8
Line 3 to T3 and T9

T4, T5 and T6 connected to each other and nothing else

I'm trying to figure out how your father losing his job relates to your wiring question. And what makes you think his employer was 'greedy'? People don't start businesses for the purpose of hiring employees. Perhaps the economy just didn't justify keeping your father employed.

I left parts of my post out. Anyhow. When all of the employees 59 and older are fired for no reason.
Due to him losing his job, im trying to purchase and install what machinery I can so he can at least afford his meds. Thats the purpose. Perhaps I shouldve just left that part out to avoid the criticism

Perhaps I shouldve just left that part out to avoid the criticism

I wouldn't take it as criticism, i was left wondering the same..... good luck with it. Nice that your Dad has you to help him out. lots here who can help with the wiring

I have found some information to determine "Y" and
"Delta" windings. Ill post the info shortly. This should help many others also

Reconnecting the motor for 230V has nothing to do with the switch, nor is that photo very illuminating. Can you see a connection diagram on the nameplate of the motor? And actually, does the motor nameplate even SAY it is a dual voltage motor?

The spindle motor on the mill is 3/4 HP
I determined I had DELTA windings. Changed the wiring to 230v 3 PH.
Turns out the spindle motor was bad and I burnt a winding.
And yes, Im competent with reading directions and wiring.
Just throwing that in there. We tested operation only briefly on 460v before we bought it.
That becomes my fault for not allowing the motor to run for a length of time before purchase.
So I took the motor for a 45 min drive to a company. I use at work to have it rewound.
No doubt, its gonna be a tad pricey

Jraef, the motor tag states 208-230/440v 3 phase. No diagram anywhere on the motor
It has 9 wires. So i Ohmed the windings to determine I had DELTA.
Based on this, I rewired for 230v. Ran perfectly fine for approx 2 mins. Staryed smoking, smeeled like dust, not electrical. I allowed it to run until I blew a fuse and it single phased.

After having the motor re-wound, chemically stripping multiple layers of paint and repainting, this is how it looks. In the process of installing a new mitutoya DRO and scale set up

Back