What's new
What's new

3 phase for dummies

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I have searched for and read every post that has to do with single phase, three phase, and phase converters. By the time I get through reading some of the replies I have more questions than answers. I just want a short answer.

1) If I run 3 phase into my shop from the powerline, I will save money on the cost of the electrical equipment vs. running single phase 220.

2) Haveing 3 phase from the pole and running a machine (Haas VF3) will not save alot of money on my monthly electric bill as compared to running 220 in and running it through a Perfect Digital Phase Converter.

Thanks
i_r_machinist

I'll defer to the gurus here with the advice that you'll get some RKI's in the transformers, converters and vfd section. Scroll down the opening menu and click. I recently had a lot of questions answered quickly in that section. just my nickel...

In answer to 2 you will likly spend more money on power if you get three phase from the pole. The reason for this is the method of metering and billing will change . with single phase power you are billed on power consumed but with three phase power most power companies bill based on peak usage through out the bill period. Also the cost of getting the three phase service installed would likly be substantial

3PH in a home shop is usually a very large expense.

If it's not already run down your street and close to your shop, the power co charges will be in the thousands of dollars to provide it.

In addition the meter can and breaker box for that service will have to be installed by an electrical contractor.... usually close to $500 or more... then all the sub panel and/or actual shop wiring has to be done.

IF you live in an area where the PC charges "demand" rates, it'll cost more to run the equipment.

3PH only makes sense if it's already there on the pole by the house.... even then the expense can far outweigh any percieved benefit.

Back