What's new
What's new

575 volt "cold saw"

Look's like it is possible. I called a motor shop that does a lot of re-winding today for other shops and they said to bring it in.
I thought that re winding would be the "proper" solution over some VFD or converter or combination. I peeked at VFD's on the web and may as well been trying to read Chinese (electrically speaking). I only have $100 in the saw and it's well worth 10x that for one in low voltage operating condition so I'm not concerned about spending a few bucks. Right now it's double wrapped up and stuck outside in a snow bank, I'll dig it out and pull the motor.
DSCN8151.jpg

C-face motor, motor shaft to gear box coupling my need to be fabricated. just a thought change out the motor for the correct voltage you have available.
2 speed/ single phase.

C-face motor, motor shaft to gear box coupling my need to be fabricated. just a thought change out the motor for the correct voltage you have available.
2 speed/ single phase.

I don't understand, would a replacement motor need an adapter, or rewinding would somehow require it? Talking "electric" with or to me beyond 110/220 simple wiring, you'll need to pretend your talking to your dog:crazy:
DSCN8152.jpg

I'm not opposed to a new motor if one were available. I am just totally ignorant about going about this, and after reading some reply's in this section by members with similar electrical problems (google search), I knew I was in the right place with the right guy's and joined.

That motor will require more than a straight re-wind. While converting a 3ph motor to single phase is technically possible, it would require the addition of a starting winding and some form of relay to disconnect it. Then you have the 2-speed aspect. In a single phase 2-speed motor, the motor is started with the high speed windings (both starting and main). A second set of contacts within the usual centrifugal starting switch then connects over to the low speed main winding. Something like this would have to be engineered (unlikely!) The motor shop will likely want to do a straight 240v, 3phase winding and then have you run it through a VFD for both phase conversion and speed control.

Just for a point of reference, the last simple rewind I had done on a 1/2hp 3 ph motor was over $700...
Good
Finding a replacement IEC motor might be your best bet.

Good luck - Tom

Finding a replacement IEC motor might be your best bet.

Good luck - Tom

Thanks Tom, "IEC" motor?
To me, that motor looks very "integral" to the saw. Would a good motor shop recognize the mounting and be able to order something I could use?

Thanks Tom, "IEC" motor?
To me, that motor looks very "integral" to the saw. Would a good motor shop recognize the mounting and be able to order something I could use?

IEC = International Electrotechnical Commission. It's an international standard that manufacturers use for interchangeability similar to NEMA that we use here in the states.

Find the frame number on your motor, then find a single or 3 phase 240 motor with the same frame number and suitable speed/KW rating. It *should* fit.....

The motor shop can certainly find a replacement, but you can likely find what you need on ebay/online for a lot less.

I am pretty sure you can change out this motor for a single phase.
Can you provide a better picture of the motor nomenclature plate.

I'll get one, it might take a while, it's wrapped up & outside in a snowbank right now. I do have another pic of that blue info plate, out of focus but I could see enough to remind me that the "frame" info is blank. Fwit it say's "Chien Shing Electrical Industrial" on that tag in my pic above. and here is the only other info on the saw.
DSCN8147.jpg

Well I dug it out of the snow, (before we get another 20") and pulled the motor off. This is not what I expected at all. I'm "sceered" to seperate the worm gear assy from the motor and don't think it will show me anything else anyway.
Am I looking at a re-wind only?

DSCN8641.jpgDSCN8642.jpg

The flash makes a pic of the nameplate useless, but the "frame" designation space is blank.

If your afraid to remove the worm gear....just put it all back together.

Simply remove the cooling fan off the back of the existing motor and apply a step pully
onto the shaft from a drill press.

Weld up a bracket to hang another (heck, use a single phase one) alongside the "bad" motor,
make it swing on a hinge to tighten the belt. You change speeds now just like a drill press,
loosen belt, slide belt to another pulley.

I just finished building a 240V-600V system in my garage to power a mill originally from Canada. I already have an RPC providing 240-V 3 phase power. I bought two Acme 1-phase 240-600V 5 kVA transformers off eBay and wired them in an open delta arrangement. They are Wile E. Coyote's favorite transformer. See Acme transformer's catalog. The transformers cost about $140 each plus average $100 each shipping, which was still way cheaper than buying new units (one of mine turned out to be NOS). The 600-V side is corner grounded. I added eBay fusible disconnect switches upstream and downstream of the transformers for another $90 total shipped. I was very careful in choosing components and wire rated for 600V and everything is in EMT and liquid-tite and grounded more than minimally required by NEC. I also did my voltmeter checks by connecting the meter to the dead system, and then energizing it from the feeder panel, rather than poke around with probes in a live 600-V box. The system works great.

Thanks rklopp but that's way, x10 way "over my head" and I don't know if I could interest an electrician.......although I have 2 cousins that are lic. master elecrticians. I don't know how foreign this type of work would be to them. If I were given a shopping list (for dummies) with p/n, would an interested "sparky" be able to do this?
Do I understand you correctly and you are using the (high voltage) 575-600v motor that was in your mill?

Before I would spend all that money and time to produce 600v for this single machine,
I would make certain that the saw motor is working and not burned up.

good point!:scratchchin:
...and just powering through the old motor is not "off the table" either Doug.
Being ignorant on these issues leaves me at a big disadvantage. I'm just working through my options.

Do I understand you correctly and you are using the (high voltage) 575-600v motor that was in your mill?
Yes, I am in fact using all of the original mill electricals, which includes the spindle motor and a separate feed motor, coolant pump, low-voltage lamp supply, and all of the various relays and interlocks.

I imagine a "sparky" could follow what I did if I provided a circuit diagram and a photo of my setup, but it is all in the Acme transformer catalog and NEC Handbook, which a good industrial electrician should know.

Back