What's new
What's new

Allen Bradeley VFD on 240 volts

LexD

Hot Rolled
Allen Bradley VFD on 240 volt single phase

I need some advice from A/B drive users on the possibility of running this on 240 volt single phase input. I only need it to run a 1/3hp motor and am hoping that it will be possible by setting some parameters although I can't see anything obvious in the operating manual that will help.

IMG_1018.jpgIMG_1019.jpg

I can't see anything obvious..
Surely cannot argue with that part...

Always thought it would be "justice" to whack bushflies with a four-deuce mortar, but this?

Could be too much like work for the US $ 120 - $ 130 price of a 1/3 to 1/2 HP VFD already fit for the purpose.

View attachment 190450

Voltage and phase quite aside, a 5 HP unit you want to use for a closer match to load motor HP.

Or for trading material.

Bill

You are asking a current regulator designed for FLA of up to 8.7A to manage a 1/3HP FLA current of 0.55A?

It might work, but more likely given that it has the crappy Allen Bradley current regulator . . . it will more than likely either end in frustration or a fried motor.

(on edit - assumed that the OP would feed through a 240:480 transformer . . . but perhaps I shouldn't have assumed this . . . )

Last edited:
Eh....

I read that data plate as needing 342VAC minimum input. 240V ain't 342V, so it is quite possible that 240V won;t even "wake up" the internal power supply. Then you have the rest of the issues, such as setting current limit.

Those are not so bad, since you could likely power several half horse units with it, as long as the motors have internal protectors.

The voltage looks like the "stopper".

No, it will not work on a 240V input, that's too far below the minimum. The display will power up because it has it's own DC-DC power supply tapped off of the DC bus, but the drive will be in a permanent state of UV Trip.

If you go the transformer route, you must then use a 460V rated motor. Many 3 phase motors are dual rated so that may work. But if not, don't use that drive by programming for a lower output voltage, it will work for a little while but kill your motor fairly quickly.

As to the issue of single phase input, all AB drives can accept single phase input, there is nothing you need to program. But it detects a phase loss via the excess DC bus ripple, so if you don't at least double the size of the drive to get the extra capacitance on the DC bus, it will trip.

Hoping in this case won't do any good. I have noticed a flood of these high voltage to lower voltage drives on the flea bay. It would be a waste of time to mess with it. If this VFD stuff is new to you then you learned a lesson.

Hoping in this case won't do any good. I have noticed a flood of these high voltage to lower voltage drives on the flea bay. It would be a waste of time to mess with it. If this VFD stuff is new to you then you learned a lesson.
PF4s and 40s are being phased out in favor of newer versions (PF520s), so a lot of people are dumping them to try to get something for them rather than scrap them before the bottom drops out of the even as one-off replacements.

I watched a video yesterday, a released Chinese labor camp prisoner came to the USA and saw a item in a store, it was the exact same thing he built as a prisoner. He remembered:
Good work = good food
Bad work = bad food
No work = no food

Allen bradley units work well but not this one for your need.

Go to their Web page and download the manuals for this send the 13xx series units.

In the manual there are model grids with voltage and horsepower as grid lines with single and 3 phase inputs.

Where your voltage and horsepower cross is the correct model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone. I knew that the Input Voltage would be a deal breaker but was just wondering if the drive could be set up to run this small motor, in Delta configuration, from a 240 volt single phase supply.

The drive does power up but then goes into an under voltage fault condition - F004.

Back