What's new
What's new

Altivar 18...Overcurrent fault immediate on "run"

greenbuggy

Stainless
Picked up a used Altivar 18 a few months ago that did run, but now having a problem with it. As soon as the run terminal is energized it immediately spits an "OCF" fault which is for overcurrent. Thinking it was a problem with the motor it was connected to I tried connecting an entirely different, known good motor and got the same fault. Thinking that was odd I tried disconnecting everything from the output side, same deal.

I don't want to trash this thing if its savable, anybody know much about these drives and how I could troubleshoot what would cause such a thing?

What you have there is a paperweight.

A VFD that OC's immediatly on "run" with no connections to the output has a hard fault in the output stage. Probably a bad IGBT. Since those are typically in a module, and the modules are out of production by the time they fault in service, you really have to WANT that specific unit for it to be worth repairing.

No harm you looking to see if some nimrod managed to drop a bit of wire across the PCB traces, but don't get to attached to the idea that it is a simple fix.

Back