Producer: Tos
Year: 1950
Base parameters Swing over bed : 14.5"
Distance between centres : 48"
Swing over cross slide : 8" mm
Main motor output : 9hp
Dimensions: 36" x 100"
Machine weight : 4000 lbs

It appears to be set up with a 3phase motor. It is a much bigger lathe than I would normally consider, but the price!

It has some accessories, follow rest, bunch of drills, but no 4-jaw.

I'm considering it, even though it will be a bit of a squeeze into my shop.

The weight is a bit of a problem too, but it seems like a pretty cheap way to get into a home machining setup.

So, the question is this: This machine requires a phase converter sufficient to run a 9hp (nameplate) motor, how much of a pain is it going to be to set up a converter? Is it worth the effort?

This may tip the scales over to "no thanks" but I'm not quite sure. I do not have any other 3phase equipment at this time.

Thanks for the help,

Katou

Last edited:
Katou,

The devil is in the details. At first blush, that lathe for $600 is a definite WOW! and it may well be, if... the spindle is a common format such as a camlock or something like a L0 taper, and... if everything works properly and is quiet, and... wear isn't excessive for your needs, and... you have a way to move the thing, and the room to park it, and... the spindle speeds are suitable to your needs, and... you get the idea.

Easily ten years ago I bought a similarly sized Leblond round head Regal from a machinery dealer in suburban Toronto. The overall experience was so good (good old lathe, great price, GREAT dealer) that I may be a bit overly optimistic, but I doubt it. I think it would be tough to go wrong with this lathe assuming most if not all of the points I raise above are satisfied. As to the size, if you are able to shoehorn the thing into your space, you won't regret the extra capacity, as it seems jobs are always a little to fat or a little too long to fit onto the machine.

As to the motor, you have several options. If there is something special about that motor, e.g. it is multiple speed, it has a proprietary face mount, or ???, then you are stuck with that motor, for better or for worse. If it's a fairly standard motor, and if you aren't planning on doing a lot of serious hogging, you could probably replace that motor with a 3 - 5HP single phase motor and do just fine.

If you keep the existing motor, you could build or buy a rotary phase converter or buy a VFD. If this will be the only three phase machine you will ever own, or if you need more speeds than the machine has in its range, the VFD is a natural choice, although a single to three phase VFD in that size will be pricey, probably as much as the lathe or more, unless you get lucky on a used one.

If you anticipate running more 3 phase machines (although not necessarily at the same time) or if you are on a short leash budget-wise, then the RPC makes a lot of sense. There are plenty of wonderfully informative articles here on PM that can guide you through the RPC building process, and some very wise people who can answer your questions if you get stuck. I have built two self starting RPC's so far and can attest that it's not exactly rocket science.

One wild card variable is, what size of RPC do you need? This is in large part a function of starting load. I have had good luck starting and running a 5HP table saw with a 3HP RPC, but that same RPC will NOT start a 5HP belt sander. If I had to guess, I would say that a 10HP RPC should handle your lathe flawlessly in all but the most demanding situations (cold oil, as in an unheated shop, BIG workpiece and high speeds).

Good luck,

Steve

Next steps

Easily ten years ago I bought a similarly sized Leblond round head Regal from a machinery dealer in suburban Toronto. The overall experience was so good (good old lathe, great price, GREAT dealer) that I may be a bit overly optimistic, but I doubt it. I think it would be tough to go wrong with this lathe assuming most if not all of the points I raise above are satisfied. As to the size, if you are able to shoehorn the thing into your space, you won't regret the extra capacity, as it seems jobs are always a little to fat or a little too long to fit onto the machine.

Wow, thanks Steve! I appreciate the perspective. I have looked a bit further into the situation, and it looks like I can fit it into my space, and get it delivered for $100. Not bad.

I need to look into that chuck attachment, is it a standard size? Which one?

As far as the RPC, I'm going to see about getting ahold of a big 10hp three phase motor around here. If I can find one pretty cheap, without much work the deal may still go.

Lastly, I need to go back to the machine and do a 2 collar test on it (still hooked to power) and try out the various features. Damn, the thing's got like 17 levers and dials, about 4 of which I can identify.

I guess we'll see! Thanks again for your help Steve, it really hit the spot.

Katou

Hell the machine is worth $600. just for scrap. Grab it up before someone else gets it. A good 5HP 220 single phase will run a lathe that size without any problem, some of the switching may have to be changed but no big deal. :codger:

I think those use bolt on chucks, but can't be sure. I've seen machines with bolt on chucks but I've never removed or installed one, don't have much info about that style. I saw recent Lion lathes that had bolt on chucks too.

I encourage you to consider it for your shop too. Don't miss youtube for info.

Help with random levers

Well, I'm going on Sunday to do a final check on the lathe, and yea or nay.

I'm still leery of taking on the project of moving the 3000 lb behemoth and then chasing down parts for the RPC. I want a lathe, not more projects. Regardless, this may be the least expensive way to get a lathe into my shop.

I really need to know what the levers on the carriage are for. Any ideas? I've got the manual, but since it's in Czech, it's not much help. The manual is a bunch of images too, so I can't just feed it into Google translator.

Any ideas? I'm worried about playing with them and breaking something.

Katou

I'm no TOS expert, but their stuff is usually pretty standard, so based on a typical lathe, the levers om the front of thecarriage a most likely to be 1. feed selector (cross or longitudinal) 2. feed direction 3. feed engage 4. half nut engage for screw cutting (will probably not engage until feed lever(s) are in neutral). On the right of the carriage are two levers, one of these is most likely to engage the clutch to turn the spindle forward or reverse. The other could be a rapid feed. Do not be too scared of engaging the levers, interlocks should prevent immediate damage, but it is wise to select the slowest spindle speed before setting the spinde in motion and experimenting. Also make sure the carriage, cross slide and spindle can all move by hand first in case a lock is engaged, and make sure the cross slide is not too close to the end of it's travel, lest it runs to the end under power and breaks a shear pin.

Back