What's new
What's new

Brand new 3 phase motor making a lot of noise and vibration, VFD? (Video inside)

Space_Cadet

Plastic
I bought this motor recently for my Schaublin lathe, is 0.75kw, 1hp motor, wired to a VFD and can't figure our what can it be, it is wired in delta.

BE CAREFUL HEADPHONE USERS AT 0:35 SOUND GOES UP

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-12-08 a las 15.57.23.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2016-12-08 a las 15.57.23.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 248
  • Captura de pantalla 2016-12-08 a las 15.59.39.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2016-12-08 a las 15.59.39.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 196
  • Captura de pantalla 2016-12-08 a las 15.59.53.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2016-12-08 a las 15.59.53.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 181
Hi Space Cadet, basics first, is the pulley tight, does the motor turn smoothly when rotated by hand,is there any perceptible play on the bearings, are the motor end cap bolts tight? When you have checked all this, set the vfd to run the motor at its rated speed, and use the VFD to check the current draw, and see if it is the same as on the motor plate. The motor plate usually gives FLA, or full load amps, so expect to see less than the rated amperage.
Phil

Also meant to ask if that is a chinese motor because some of them are both electrically and mechanically noisy, and are often very poorly balanced.

Thanks for your answer, I checked everything and there is no play, goes very smooth and feels solid when turned by hand, with my VFD I have to choose between HZ or rpm for indication, should there be a mode for checking current draw? Im afraid to set it up to the rated speed, when it gets close to there it starts to make the weird noises

Yes I'm afraid is it made in China.. I hope it can run better because this is crazy

Do you have a way to make sure that current if flowing equally through all 3 phases? (current clamp on meter)

I have had a similar experience when one of the phases was not working correctly out of the drive. The pulse of current was at maximum for that phase because it had a faulty current sensor on that leg.

I cannot read your screen shots of drive parameters.

Do you have a way to make sure that current if flowing equally through all 3 phases? (current clamp on meter)

I have had a similar experience when one of the phases was not working correctly out of the drive. The pulse of current was at maximum for that phase because it had a faulty current sensor on that leg.

I cannot read your screen shots of drive parameters.

I really have no idea how to do that, here are the drive parameters:

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o3_1280.png

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o2_1280.png

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o4_1280.png

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o5_1280.png

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o6_1280.png

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o7_1280.png

tumblr_oitdwyGLKZ1qgpz63o1_1280.png

Thanks a lot guys

Normally you need a meter to do that. Some VFD do not read out phase currents, but some do.

The noise seems not so bad, but there are some vibration modes. Maybe that is just my local speakers, no reference for overall level.

Is this a servo or 3 phase motor. In July of this year a ruling went into place that requires mot 3 phase motors 3 hp and under to now be Premium efficient rated. This has caused a huge mess with 3 phase motor and VFD to play nicely with each other. The manufacturer of the motors are using different ways to get these ratings up and what drive may work perfectly with one motor will not on other know matter of the parts set in the vfd. I myself use Leeson 2hp motors in my grinders I make. I have been playing hell with motor and drive companies trying to get the right combo with out any noise or high-end torque loss. To date Leeson has built 3 different proto types for me to test and KB electronics have built me 3 drives with different software packages. I also tried a import motor that has the new rating as well. We finally got a good combo but this is just the start of a huge mess for future VFD motor users.

Is this a servo or 3 phase motor. In July of this year a ruling went into place that requires mot 3 phase motors 3 hp and under to now be Premium efficient rated. This has caused a huge mess with 3 phase motor and VFD to play nicely with each other. The manufacturer of the motors are using different ways to get these ratings up and what drive may work perfectly with one motor will not on other know matter of the parts set in the vfd. I myself use Leeson 2hp motors in my grinders I make. I have been playing hell with motor and drive companies trying to get the right combo with out any noise or high-end torque loss. To date Leeson has built 3 different proto types for me to test and KB electronics have built me 3 drives with different software packages. I also tried a import motor that has the new rating as well. We finally got a good combo but this is just the start of a huge mess for future VFD motor users.

Really? Wow that would really suck, I'd hope that it was a matter of setting the VFD right since in another motor it worked very smoothly

I think I just found the solution, I changed the torque curve parameter (CD18) and now runs really smooth and quiet, the way I hoped It would run, and I can get full speed now.

I think I just found the solution, I changed the torque curve parameter (CD18) and now runs really smooth and quiet, the way I hoped It would run, and I can get full speed now.

That's why I asked - the motor I recently setup (running sensorless vector) did pretty much the same thing as the speed went through certain ranges. The Hitachi drive has an autotune feature that
smoothed things right out. Even when run V/Hz drives need to have parameters adjusted. By all means read the manual on this.

Back