What's new
What's new

Can i run a VFD off of my RPC power or is that a bad idea?

jeff76

Cast Iron
I'm currently running all my three phase equipment from an older Arco 10 HP RPC. I have a 5HP AC motor that I would like to use a VFD on and was wondering if I could supply it with that RPC or if that was unacceptable? I know that there are some VFD's that will run on single phase power but don't seem to see many in my price range(cheap-lol) that are big enough as I guess that derates them if I understand things correctly.

Thanks,
Jeff

You can use the Arco to supply a VFD. Depending on the VFD it might fault if the RPC is not balanced within some limits.
The VFD manual should explain what the conditions are.

You can use the Arco to supply a VFD. Depending on the VFD it might fault if the RPC is not balanced within some limits.
The VFD manual should explain what the conditions are.

Thanks for the reply. So worst case is that it would fault out if the RPC wasn't balanced well. I wasn't sure if it would damage the VFD in that case or not. I also am not sure if the ARCO RPC was a well balanced unit or not as I don't have much experience with them other than it has worked OK just to run my three phase motors.

Thanks for the reply,
Jeff

Last edited:
The way that a VFD draws power is different from a motor, and can pose more of an issue with an RPC. A motor draws sine wave current, even though there will be a phase displacement(power factor). The VFD generally draws current as shorter, higher current pulses, not sine wave current, although 3 phase input reduces that somewhat*.

When you run the equipment at near full load, the pulses may be equivalent to a 10 or 15HP unit, even though the average current is correct for the 5HP. So the VFD may act to "pull down" the voltage of the generated leg more than a motor alone would. Even if the VFD does not fault, that may put more of a strain on it.

* The reason for this is that the input voltage must exceed the voltage on the filter capacitors before there can be any current flow through the rectifiers. So current tends to flow in pulses which occur at the peak of the input voltage waveform. Since the current flows for less time, there must be a higher current for the time that it does flow in order to equal out to the right rms current.

The way that a VFD draws power is different from a motor, and can pose more of an issue with an RPC. A motor draws sine wave current, even though there will be a phase displacement(power factor). The VFD generally draws current as shorter, higher current pulses, not sine wave current, although 3 phase input reduces that somewhat*.

When you run the equipment at near full load, the pulses may be equivalent to a 10 or 15HP unit, even though the average current is correct for the 5HP. So the VFD may act to "pull down" the voltage of the generated leg more than a motor alone would. Even if the VFD does not fault, that may put more of a strain on it.

* The reason for this is that the input voltage must exceed the voltage on the filter capacitors before there can be any current flow through the rectifiers. So current tends to flow in pulses which occur at the peak of the input voltage waveform. Since the current flows for less time, there must be a higher current for the time that it does flow in order to equal out to the right rms current.

JST- Does this mean that you would not recommend running it on the RPC?

It means that there is a better chance it will not be a good match for a 10HP RPC. I cannot guarantee you will have a problem, but there is a chance of it, just because the generated leg is always weaker than the straight through ones, and the lower the HP of the RPC, the weaker it is.

If you had a 20 HP RPC, I'd probably not even think about it.

It means that there is a better chance it will not be a good match for a 10HP RPC. I cannot guarantee you will have a problem, but there is a chance of it, just because the generated leg is always weaker than the straight through ones, and the lower the HP of the RPC, the weaker it is.

If you had a 20 HP RPC, I'd probably not even think about it.

OK- thanks for the update JST.

Back