What's new
What's new

Control Techniques Commander SE VFD Communication Cable alternative?

auswelder

Plastic
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is an alternative to the communication cable for programming the Control Techniques Commander SE VFD as they are quite expensive to buy. It is RS232 - RS485 and it plugs into a RJ45 network plug type connector on the drive and plugs into a 9 pin com port on the PC.

commander-sk_communication-cable.jpg

Joliet Technologies – Commander SE :: Communication / Interface

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is an alternative to the communication cable for programming the Control Techniques Commander SE VFD as they are quite expensive to buy. It is RS232 - RS485 and it plugs into a RJ45 network plug type connector on the drive and plugs into a 9 pin com port on the PC.

commander-sk_communication-cable.jpg

Joliet Technologies – Commander SE :: Communication / Interface

If you have looked at "terminal diagram" on that page, you can see it is not rocket science.

OTOH, having done "many" for Telco gear and 'puters, I have ta tell yah it can be sore TEDIOUS to DIY.

Flat "IDC" ribbon cable, re-assigning at the ends with careful hand punch-down, and use of the odd inline breakout box with wire-wrap or jumper reassignment, sometimes DIP switch were our friends,

It is nearly always cheaper to use "store bought", just on the time required to make-up even a simpler cable.

"Store bought" doesn't always attract even a second or third entrant where market is scant an/or use infrequent. No real money in it in small volumes even at stiff prices.

It is $202.95 to buy the cable. I consider this to be excessive so am just looking into alternatives. So that eBay converter won't be suitable?

CT-COMMS-CABLE - Control Techniques - Accessory | Galco Industrial Electronics

You done much of this stuff? All you need even for level-shifting, buffering, inverting a signal, OR'ing or XOR'ing, or NANDing handshakes is "out there" on the itty-bity PCB's those folk build then case from.

Then you have several connectors of different tribes to cable to. HARD to not get at least ONE bit wrong and have the spend of finding and fixing it. Then you have strain-relief so your work dasn't simply pull apart.

You can DO this. It just isn't labour-free, nor as simple as ticking a box.

$202, present-day is cheap. Some telco switch cables were $1,200 25 + years ago, and even had the same protocol, connector family and shell, same levels end to end.

They were simply low-volume needs, a standard protocol, but rarely messed-with, ergo a pain in the a** to make, then stock.

Just like this one is.

I'd JF buy the damned OEM one, then go piss on some other fire where one could actually SAVE some more serious time or money with less tedium and debug time.

It is $202.95 to buy the cable. I consider this to be excessive so am just looking into alternatives. So that eBay converter won't be suitable?

I think you are right about the price. The last level converter I bought was a used RS232-to-USB converter for $1 USD. Works great.

The logical thing to do is try a cheap import. If it doesn't work then build one using the Maxim parts. They might send you free samples. I have been using the MAX232 and MAX3222 for years. Never used the MAX485 but its the same sort of device.

You done much of this stuff? All you need even for level-shifting, buffering, inverting a signal, OR'ing or XOR'ing, or NANDing handshakes is "out there" on the itty-bity PCB's those folk build then case from.

I think I am competent enough with with this sort of stuff to have a go. I have dabbled with cnc/3d printers before,both the hardware/software side of it, arduino projects even built quite a few kits where soldering was required.

Back