What's new
What's new

Convert/adapt Miller LMSW52T Spot welder from 230V 60cyc 3-wire to 240V 60cyc 4-wire?

Questor1

Plastic
I own a Miller LMSW-52T Spot Welder and have problems finding the correct generator and/or wiring configuration to handle spot welder’s 2.5kVA power requirements.

Local Tool Rental store employees are unsure which Generator to recommend and which NEMA plug connectors need to be installed. The store staff seem more interested in making money from my renting a Generator that may or may not work, than find answers to my simple questions about which Generator equipment should I rent from them to use with the LMSW52T. The questions I’m trying to answer are:

Which OEM Manufacturer/Models portable generators should I consider renting to correctly power this LMSW52T for a short-term project?

Both the LMSW52T and the Yamaha EF7200D Generator only work with single phase power. Could and should I create a custom “adaptor” cable that plugs into the Generator’s 240v 60 cycle 25Amp single phase 4-wire female connector and is wired in an unknown way to the LMSW52T 230V 35 Amp single phase 3-wire male connector? How would I make this adapter cable since the Rental Store does not make custom cables like this?

The Yamaha EF7200D Portable Generator recommended by a Local Tool Rental store with the specs listed below does not seem to generate enough Amps to correctly power the LMSW52T. The Tool Rental store employees I talked to seem unsure which Generator I should rent. They want me to leave my LMSW52T for testing by their “Mechanic” and want me to pay $60/hr for his opinion and testing of what I should rent from them. Supposedly, that Tool Rental store is authorized by Miller for Miller Welding equipment repair and I doubt the store’s experience with Spot Welders.

According to the OEM Manual from Miller Welding, this LMSW52T Spot Welder draws up to 2.5kVA or 30Amps from 230V 60 cycle single-phase power with a 3-wire input. Miller Welding Tech Support said I should rent a minimum 35 Amp Generator because of local spot welder power spikes and possible power calibration issues over time. However, they would not recommend a specific portable generator other than their own and I do not have access to any Miller Welding OEM Generator.

The local Tool Rental Company said I could power the LMSW52T Spot Welder when I rent their Yamaha EF7200D 6000 Watt power generator. They said I could use either power connector for:
1.) 3-wire, single-phase, 120V 60 cycle, 50 Amp, with an L5-30 connector or else the
2.) 4-wire single-phase, 240V 60 cycle, 25 Amp with an L15-30 connector.
It seems that I should only use the 240V connector.

The problems are the LMSW52T plug is 3 wire & not 4 wire, while the 240V outlet only outputs 25 Amp and not the 30+ Amp that is needed.

Any constructive suggestions are appreciated…

Regards, Steve

Back