What's new
What's new

Convert motor or use phase converter?

Keithw

Plastic
I have a Southbend 10K lathe I recently acquired. It came with a 3 phase 3/4 HP motor. I am a hobbyist in my home shop. Should I convert the motor to a single phase or go with a phase converter?

If I change the motor what would I need to have comperable performance to the original motor?

If I go with a phase converter, what type, brand, etc do I need? Would I need to do any attic/electrical upgredes from the panel in the shop?

Thanks for any advice.
Keith

The new school way is to buy a Variable Frequency Device (VFD). It runs on 230 single phase and will drive a 3 phase motor at variable speeds.

That said, I have a heavy 10 that I run off a static converter. I can take .1 inch depth of cuts in steel with chips coming off blue and the motor doesn't complain a bit. I don't need any more power than that.

You can also get VFD'S that use 120vac input to make 230vac 3 phase power. These are available up to 1hp rating. The variable speed aspect is nice compared to a rotary phase converter.

You can easily build your own phase converter by scrounging a 3-5hp 3ph motor and going to the converter section of this forum. Cost will be the same or less than a VFD or replacing the motor with single phase. If you never intend on getting any more three phase machinery, VFD is a consideration, but you have to get a new VFD for every machine and every motor on that machine. I have machines with as many as three motors running at once (spindle and two feed motors). I have a 5hp home made converter and it runs any of the nine 3ph machines in my shop with a total of fourteen motors, one of which is a SB10L. I'd have a couple of grand tied up in VFDs to run all that and the controls would be very complicated. As it is, I just fire up the converter and run them like they were designed.

go with the VFD. I know lots of people running VFD's on all the machines in there shop.
Rotary Convert cost free to $1000's How big do does one need or want + side you can run a hole shop off one converter. some here can cobble one together for almost nothing
Static converters $100-200 + side 1 ease to wire no other + side at the price why go there.
VFD's $150 -1000's + side you get single phase 110 or 220 in 3 phase out Variable speed,braking, on a VFD of the size you need. cost $150-$300. three thing you need to know to buy an VFD is motor HP and motor amps and input voltage Ken

Rotaries are much more efficient with multiple motors running off them. Go with the VFD for one motor. The speed control is an added bonus - still need to shift belts, but not as much and you can fine tune speeds. Plus 3 phase motor will improve surface finish.

If you ever plan on more than one 3 phase machine ( such as a mill) then go with a rotary. Hunt down a decent used motor for an idler then contact Jim at a PhaseCraft for one of his panels. PhaseCraft is a PM member and does good work.

Whatever route you choose (VFD or Phase Converter) you will be learning the device sooner or later. That is, when problems occur. The phase converter is easier to understand especially if you build it yourself. The VFD is will probably be a magic box to you, and if you buy a cheapo throw-away one then get ready for a ride.

It's better to know both and have both available for three phase operation. Don't change out the three phase 3/4 Hp for a single phase motor. Keep the SB stock.

Exactly what I needed thanks!

New shop, new (old) clausing 4900 lathe. I actually have access to some sort of large phase converter, but for the little lathe, I opted for variable drive, and simplicity on the wiring. I appreciate the direct link, because I was actually having trouble finding the right teco :/ I assumed there was one that could do 230v output with 110v input, but the ones I found were 400hz and a carrier that I thought would make noise. Either way, thanks for weighing in. I just want to make chips :)

-=Bill

I've owned both Teco and Hitachi, I found the Hitachi easier to customize and run remotely. If you are just going to plug it in and use the controls on the device, it doesn't matter. On my vert mill, the VFD lives in a box up on the wall with a window so I can see the readout, but the controls incl. the emergency stop are on the mill.

Back