What's new
What's new

RPC VOLTAGE TOO HIGH

converterking

Stainless
I need to construct a rotary phase converter for a Topturn cnc lathe that I purchased. It has a 7 1/2 hp spindle motor and uses 3 phase ac servo drives with a Fagor 800T control. The line voltage in my area is already high (243 volts), and this lathe needs 220 volts +/- 10%. This would be an expensive machine to repair if I had any overvoltage problems. I ran it momentarily on a 15 hp rotary converter and had voltages of 248-248-254 - I would like to make a dedicated 20 hp phase converter for this machine but am wondering what would be the best way to lower the voltages. thanks, Terry

"...I would like to make a dedicated 20 hp phase converter for this machine but am wondering what would be the best way to lower the voltages"

Use buck/boost transformers in buck mode.

It's probably best to do conversion at the high voltage and buck the voltage down. But, then you would need three buck/boost transformers or one three-phase transformer.

You could buck the single-phase line down and then do the conversion at the lower voltage. In this way you could get by with one large buck/boost transformer.

If you're buying new, then the second alternative is probably lower in cost.

If you're scrounging or buying used, either one could be lower in cost, depending upon your luck.

A buck/boost transformer is a one winding autotransformer, and autotransformers have better regulation than a two winding (isolating) transformer.

Back