What's new
What's new

Enco 10x54 power switch help

crazycuda

Plastic
Working on my old 10x54 enco mill (2002 era) and the power switch is getting flaky works fine on low speed but when you kick it to high it loads down my phase converter and does not want to start. Like the head is locked. If you mess with the switch back and fourth it will finally kick in. If you turn the switch to counter clock wise rotation it works properly. So that pointed me to the switch then the delema hit. Trying to find a match, the closest match I found was a Hz5B-10/T721.7 the orig is a Hz5B-10/T27 TH. I got the switch and saw the jumpers were in totally different locations and the numbering on the decal is different. (see attached) Is there a way to use this switch or am i back to hunting a hens tooth?IMG_0676.jpgIMG_0678.jpg

I don't think that switch will work for you. The label on the original unit shows all contacts are normally open. On the replacement unit the contacts are half normally open and half normally closed. And its likely the internal cams are for a different application.

I have no idea on who the manufacturer is, so I cant help with that, but there are other manufacturers, that you could obtain a replacement from. But to pick a replacement you need to know the motor type and current rating required.

Taking a stab at what you have, since you didn't specify is a two speed, single winding, reversible, 3Φ motor switch with 5 positions. A pretty specialized switch, and not that common, but available from other manufacturers. You would need the motor nameplate data and the connection diagram to be sure of what you have.

It's likely that your motor is whats called a Dahlander in Europe or Consequent-Pole in the USA. This type of motor is connected with the windings in different arrangements to achieve a different number of poles, in order to get different speeds. Reference

Here is a sample drawing for a cam switch, that is as described above. From a German manufacturer Salzer
Saelzer_61217.jpg
It would likely be a special order, so you would want to do your homework first. First comparing electrical suitability then mechanical fit. You can get it with an enclosure and different operators and a operating legend.

The catalog can be downloaded HERE. Page 53 shows the part listing and page 72 shows the diagram.

Salzer USA Corp, Mesa, AZ
Phone: (480) 325-2690
Email: [email protected]
Web: Salzer Electric GmbH - Innovation. Technology. Quality.

SAF Ω

Thank you,
for the info. I was not sure what the insignias were on the switch.
I have not pulled the cover off the motor yet but it is a 3hp, 3ph 2 speed, reversible. I'll post a picture of the cover tag soon

Still need to see the motor nameplate and connection diagram to be sure, the details matter.
Looks to be what I suggested earlier. There are a couple variations of this type motor.

SAF Ω

I think I got lucky, I called Grizzly with the pn off my switch and sent them a pict. They have an exact match to my original switch. There G9904 - 10" x 54" mill is the same as my enco mill.

help

Well the replacement switch came in and everything matches except for the open closed symbols on the switch so now im even more unsure.IMG_0686.jpgIMG_0688.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 174
  • new switch symbols.jpg
    new switch symbols.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 85
I am experiencing the same issue with my Enco 10X54 Mill that is of the same vintage.
Did you ever resolve your switch issue?
If so, what was the fix?

Back