What's new
What's new

Frequency measurement with tuning forks....

I have a couple like that. They actually work quite well as a readout on a generator.

I can buy a 58-62 Hz James Biddle meter for $15 marked down by 1/2 to $7.50. Is it worth it?

This particular one (probably like most of them) has cracks in the paint or porcelain on the ends of the vibrating bars. If a chunk chips off then the resonant frequency of a bar would change. The end of the bars on the inside of the meter have little adjustment screws for tuning the action. Cool idea.

Amazing what one can do without electronics. The old boys were pretty sharp. Same idea that was used in older ham and commercial radios to create a mechanical band pass filter for speech.

Tom

Amazing what one can do without electronics.
?? Those ARE "electronic". The vibration / not is induced by an electromagnetic field driven off the gen head output, not by vibration from the IC engine block or such.

One reed will be in near-perfect resonance, hence "damped", those either side of it not so much. THAT part is a mechanical effect - the translation to gross-movement "enough" that the Mark One Eyeball can easily detect and discriminate.

I can state with 100% certainty that not only do those frequency meters rely on the movement of electrons
for their operation, but the entire instrument is simply chock-a-block full of those amazing electron particles.
Completely electronic from top to bottom, side to side.

Really tough to find something without them inside these days!

The old radios for land mobile had reeds that were used for audio control or CTCSS that were a fine tuned coupled transformer very accurate.

The older version of these meters ate basically a coil connected across the output voltage with tuning fork like metal reeds that react to the frequency of the field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I can state with 100% certainty that not only do those frequency meters rely on the movement of electrons
for their operation, but the entire instrument is simply chock-a-block full of those amazing electron particles.
Completely electronic from top to bottom, side to side.

Really tough to find something without them inside these days!

Not hard at all. Most self-respecting atoms wear their electrons on the outside, and at rather a goodly distance as relative sizes go.

Atoms have it right. I mean, who'd want little critters with such shocking behaviour prowling about at random in their underpants?

:D

Not hard at all. Most self-respecting atoms wear their electrons on the outside, and at rather a goodly distance as relative sizes go.

Atoms have it right. I mean, who'd want little critters with such shocking behaviour prowling about at random in their underpants?

:D

Atomic nuclei usually contain neutrons which can emit electrons to become protons. Does a neutron contain an electron or does it generate one when it changes? If the former, then nuclei also have electrons and we have to fall back on various muons, mesons, etc. which may not always contain electrons.

Of course, we still have not determined the number of angels on a pinhead.

Bill

Atomic nuclei usually contain neutrons which can emit electrons to become protons. Does a neutron contain an electron or does it generate one when it changes? If the former, then nuclei also have electrons and we have to fall back on various muons, mesons, etc. which may not always contain electrons.
Answer is probably on the internet. Memory sez they are generated.

As former "minder" of a rather largish number of W31 warshots - it also sez you really don't want to be in the zone when it is going on at a grand scale!

Of course, we still have not determined the number of angels on a pinhead.
I thot Gorton had already engraved dance-cards for the lot of them?

Modern nano-tech, OTOH, is borderline amazing, probably re-soling their footwear by now.

Here yah go.... two different meters plugged into the 60 Hz line. Did not have a variable frequency source of sufficient power handy to hand. The dials are both whiter than they appear, the color is partly due to using low light to get the canera to a slow enough shutter speed so as not to just freeze the motion of the indicator.

Both have similar resolution, one has a wider range than the other.

6t7LkdP.jpg

m0TNnSI.jpg

When I bench tested the Frahm meter both indicators vibrated between 59 and 60, which means 59.5Hz. Intermediate frequencies (between the lines) should make the vibration displacement of the markers at less than full height, I would think.

Back