What's new
What's new

Guidance needed on 3 phase supply

arielht500

Aluminum
I am in the uk and electrics leave me cold.Need guidance on what to buy and where to buy it.The need is to run 3 phase machinery from 240v single phase supply. The machines will be run on a one at a time basis with a maximum or 7.5hp(ie lathe).
Would appreciate advice on this. Don't have the time or knowledge to build something myself.

Last edited:
I wasn't overly thrilled with the practicality and cost of the alternatives, so I bit the bullet and had a proper 3-phase supply installed. As far as I'm aware I don't pay a premium for the supply or the kWh, just the normal domestic tarriff.

Andrew

Digital converter:
If you are looking at manufacturers in the States, Phase Perfect appears to me to be the best way to go.
For your needs: the PT-330 for $3400 + 36 character display for $125 = $3525 (US dollars). Shipping weight = 125 pounds.

Rotary converter:
Will be less money and less complicated. I would hope actual owners of pre-built units reply here and give you advice.

I wasn't overly thrilled with the practicality and cost of the alternatives, so I bit the bullet and had a proper 3-phase supply installed. As far as I'm aware I don't pay a premium for the supply or the kWh, just the normal domestic tarriff.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I had thought about going that route but wasn't sure about the cost and if they would supply domestic premises
Steve

Digital converter:
If you are looking at manufacturers in the States, Phase Perfect appears to me to be the best way to go.
For your needs: the PT-330 for $3400 + 36 character display for $125 = $3525 (US dollars). Shipping weight = 125 pounds.

Rotary converter:
Will be less money and less complicated. I would hope actual owners of pre-built units reply here and give you advice.

Thanks for reply. Think the cost would rule out phase perfect but the rotary converter may be a good idea
Steve

There are , I believe, a number of sources for rotary converters in the UK if building one is not something you want to do.

Your service is different from US service, as you have 240V from hot to neutral. So your resulting 240V 3 phase will be equivalent to our "corner grounded delta". Two wires will be hot and one will be at the potential of the neutral.

If you ask questions here, you need to be aware that some answers from US folks may not take that into account.

It does not affect operation at all, bit it can affect voltages measurements vs what would be measured on a US version. The US 240V service has neither wire earthed, the neutral is 120V from each wire. So for US systems the voltage to neutral and voltage to earth will differ from yours.

Thanks for reply. Think the cost would rule out phase perfect but the rotary converter may be a good idea
Steve

You contact the rotary companies directly through their websites. Ask questions about your situation, shipping costs, etc.
They will probably have experiences with customers in your country. But if I were you I would try to shop locally. The last
time I bought a heavy item from the UK the shipping charge was a lot. I think the taxes were pretty steep too.

Back