What's new
What's new

Haas Kamp conversion Lincoln CV300

Family_van

Plastic
Here we go. I am working toward converting my Lincoln CV300 to 1 phase using the Haas-Kamp conversion. Thanks to all of you who have contributed their findings. I have followed the pounceatron (THANK YOU!) version CP200 diagram.

Here are the steps I have taken:
•I have hooked up the A coil on the primary side, the B coil with capacitors, and the C coil has been hooked up reverse of A.
•I have disconnected all of the windings on the primary coil that bridge the coil (original CV-300 #s 10,11,12).
•I have disconnected all the circuit boards and low voltage connections.
•I believe that the CV300 is actually Y already but I did disconnect the secondary bridge. (How do I really know if I have a y or delta without power????)

Results
When I fire it up it just trips the breaker anywhere from immediately to within 2 seconds. Not fast enough to get a voltage reading. Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

I do notice that the output capacitors on the CV300 are after the SCR whereas the CP200 capacitors are before the SCR’s.

Note: I do have the welder hooked up to a 2p20 breaker but I would think where I am not drawing welding current I should be able to test it.

I have attached my modified drawing with how I have wired the CV300 and also copy of the original drawing of the transforming wiring.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CV300 haas Kamp v1.jpg
    CV300 haas Kamp v1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 982
  • CV300 original transformer.jpg
    CV300 original transformer.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 657
Here we go. I am working toward converting my Lincoln CV300 to 1 phase using the Haas-Kamp conversion. Thanks to all of you who have contributed their findings. I have followed the pounceatron (THANK YOU!) version CP200 diagram.

Here are the steps I have taken:
•I have hooked up the A coil on the primary side, the B coil with capacitors, and the C coil has been hooked up reverse of A.
•I have disconnected all of the windings on the primary coil that bridge the coil (original CV-300 #s 10,11,12).
•I have disconnected all the circuit boards and low voltage connections.
•I believe that the CV300 is actually Y already but I did disconnect the secondary bridge. (How do I really know if I have a y or delta without power????)

Results
When I fire it up it just trips the breaker anywhere from immediately to within 2 seconds. Not fast enough to get a voltage reading. Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts?

I do notice that the output capacitors on the CV300 are after the SCR whereas the CP200 capacitors are before the SCR’s.

Note: I do have the welder hooked up to a 2p20 breaker but I would think where I am not drawing welding current I should be able to test it.

I have attached my modified drawing with how I have wired the CV300 and also copy of the original drawing of the transforming wiring.

Thanks!

I couldn't look at your schematic, as it posted as a tiny image only.

I have done successful conversions on both the CV400 and the DC400. While I'm not familiar with the CV300, the schematic appears to be very similar in nature. This is the thread that I started about my conversions of those machines. While this thread is messy, because I go thru the stages of not working to finally working, it chronicles what I did.

In the end, the conversion of the CV400/DC400 is slightly different than most of the Miller conversions. The Lincoln schematics are also a little bit harder to follow, I believe. I attached a schematic of where I ended up in the end. Note that only one leg goes to each coil, not two legs like the Millers. Then, the coils are all connected in parallel with the physical connections inside the connection box. (For me, the one exception there was the 10,11,12 connection, which is a physically welded connection inside of the machine).

Hopefully, this helps, and you get this machine going!

Good luck!!!

Final CV400_DC400 schematic 240V.jpg

hey CAD,
Thanks for taking time to read my post.
First things first. I can't figure out how to load a bigger image. How are loading them? It wouldn't let me load an image from Ms paint so I had to do a pdf. Guess I have to work on it some more.

Next, I have reviewed your build before. Awesome tenacity. Unfortunately your wiring diagram is nothing like mine. Mine rally looks like the cp200 until the difference in the placement of the SCR'S. I am going to try to study yours more. Maybe there is something in it that will help lead me in the right direction A good schematic is "I guess" in the eyes of the draftsperson. Some may need their eyes checked too.
My plan is to take every wire off any try yet again.
Thanks. mjh

hey CAD,
Thanks for taking time to read my post.
First things first. I can't figure out how to load a bigger image. How are loading them? It wouldn't let me load an image from Ms paint so I had to do a pdf. Guess I have to work on it some more.

Next, I have reviewed your build before. Awesome tenacity. Unfortunately your wiring diagram is nothing like mine. Mine rally looks like the cp200 until the difference in the placement of the SCR'S. I am going to try to study yours more. Maybe there is something in it that will help lead me in the right direction A good schematic is "I guess" in the eyes of the draftsperson. Some may need their eyes checked too.
My plan is to take every wire off any try yet again.
Thanks. mjh

Do you know for which owners manual you downloaded? IM500? OR, do you know which manual corresponds to your serial number?

I looked at the IM500, and that is almost exact to the CV400 on the wiring side. On the CV/DC400, you don't do anything with the secondary side. You leave all of the stock caps, boards, etc in there. It's just the primaries that get changed.

If it were me, I'd go back to stock on everything post the transformers, and wire the primaries like my schematic, and give it a whirl.

With that being said, I have had some issues with the CV machines working properly. They work, but they don't really like to work at lower output voltage, say 20ish volts and below. They do weld HOT and thick stuff though, like a champ!

Good luck!!!

Mine is a CV300 and I used the manual/ wiring diagram from Lincoln's website based on serial number. What voltage input is yours wired for 240 or 480?

Cadman, serial number is U1990605902 for the CV-300.

A while ago I traded emails with Dave and if if I understand him correctly this is how I calculate the capacitance.

I have a name plate that says 208/230/480v and 66/60/30A.

If the utility sees 2 out of the 3 legs of amperage I would then say for 230v the name plate is 60amps. Therefore 2/3 of 60 is 40amps. The capacitance calculation would then be
C = (40 / 3) / 2 * π * 60 * 240

C = 13.33 / 90477.87 F

C = 147 µF or approx. 150µF

I made a mistake in my calculation and only ordered 100µF.

I went ahead an used the 100µF and it didn't blow up. Now I have wired it with the 480v taps similar to the CP200. I also disconnected 10,11 and 12 and used these as my lower connection on my transformers with 1,2 and 3 being the upper connections.

Now when I fire it up I end up with 22, 17 and 14 volts on the output side of the transformer before I hit the rectifier and smoothing capacitors. I would have thought they would be equal.

I tried to wire it for the 240v taps and "SHE DON"T LIKE IT". The 3-12 tapped transformer gets hot and makes lots of noise. Hopefully I can look at it again soon and see if I can figure out why.

I am attaching version 2 of my diagram. WHAT IS EVERYONE USEING TO ATTACHE IMAGES. I can't get the file size small enough and get it visible.... more frustrating than the conversion.

I'll keep plugging away.
CV300_v2.jpg

As for the pics, I have found that if I save them as JPGs that is the best. I haven't really done anything special with them, but PNG files will be small for me....

Cadman, serial number is U1990605902 for the CV-300.

I made a mistake in my calculation and only ordered 100µF...

Sorry, I said serial number, I need your code number.

As for the caps, it will probably "work", but it may not work thru the range. It should probably be good enough to know if it works...

So, what was the final outcome? I have been reading up on these conversions and this one sounds promising!

Thanks,

Gary

View my post #2 above. It contains a link to my conversion experience on a DC-400 and CV-400. While I have never had a CV-300 in my posession, I would think that they would be very close to the same type of conversion.

I will say, however, that at the end of the day, the DC-400's seem to convert better than the CV machines. The CV machines will weld GREAT at higher voltages, but not at lower voltages. I'm assuming that's a function of the fact that there needs to be less capacitance when the voltage is lower, but I tried that well, and it didn't really seem to make a difference. It could also be that my machines are just used enough that they don't like to weld down lower either. Not really for sure.

In the end, if you can pick one of these up cheap, it doesn't take a ton of money to get one converted to single phase. If it doesn't work, then at least you're not out a lot money. The key is getting them cheap...

Thanks CADman, I appreciate your information. I was looking at a CV300 with a feeder for $600. I think I'll keep looking.

Gary

So, everyone's definition of "cheap" is different, but I would not pay $600 for a CV-600 that I was going to convert. That might not be a bad price for one that you're going to run on 3-phase, but that's always a gamble. I actually have one machine that I'm almost 99.9% sure was running on 3-phase, and it will not do anything on single phase. I have other machines, so I've never really tore into what the issue was, and I don't have a 3-phase source to go back and try it on, so I may never know for sure.

Also, I suppose that "cheap" and prices vary by region, and that could play into as well. But, as a point of reference in the heart of Kansas, I paid an average of $55 for 3 DC-400's and 2 CV-400's that were in the late 80's and early 90's respectively, so they were pretty old machines, were being used daily when they were taken out of service.

I recently bought a Miller DeltaWeld 451, that I paid a $100 for, that I have NOT successfully welded with yet. I've been close, but not quite there yet. I'm still not for sure what's wrong with it, and I haven't spent much time with it lately.

YMMV... (...and I may never get these kind of deals in my life again. who knows...)

Back