What's new
What's new

Heid Lathe Purchase. Need Some Help With Electricals

sapwood

Aluminum
Heid Lathe Purchase. Need Some Help With Electricals
Ive just got my hands on a Heid Lathe, Shes a big brute with a 4 jaw the size of your average car wheel.
Im looking forward to getting her plugged in, but before I hitch her up to our 3 phase supply I have to wire her up.
Basicaly the lathe itself is pretty simple. It has a big mains cable going into the headstock, which is obviously for the motor. Then seperately from that is a thinner armoured cable going to the saddle.
Now i got with this lathe a big steel case which housed all the electrical contactors and power supplies etc. But before I just go connecting my mains wires and evetually ending the world I think i owe it to everyone to understand what everything is and its purpose. So can anyone take a look at the pics and closeups of whats in the box and explain what this stuff is and its purpose within this system..
WP_20180212_001.jpgWP_20180212_002.jpgWP_20180212_003.jpgWP_20180212_004.jpgWP_20180212_007.jpg

Congratulations on the Heid - a serious lathe indeed.

What model do you have - there are quite a few variants. You should probably get yourself a manual to help with the wiring, but I am guessing you want to just get it wired up.

The big red CTYROKY WIEN thing is a 3 phase transformer, and your incoming power probably goes to that, but I don't see the incoming cabling in your photos.

The maroon finned devices are rectifiers. That means that DC is used somewhere - probably for something like clutches or possibly feed motors. Possibly further transformers adjacent to the rectifiers, but a bit hard to see.

The big white ceramic devices are fuses as are the more obvious cartridge type fuses, which are possibly not original?.

There are terminal blocks of course, and contacters for the main motor and possibly other bits of equipment.

A good industrial electrician would sort that all out very quickly.

Back