What's new
What's new

Help, 220 From Sub Box to Garage

fst2011

Plastic
Hello everyone,

First want to say I'm complete novice but Im not all thumbs. I searched this forum for some info and found allot of good reading but nothing that could help. Can someone please take the time and try to explain in simple terms. Some back story, cause after hopefully getting this figured out I will post new question about possible help in design of track system for my son. But thats down the road a bit.

My son has down syndrome and few years back hurt himself and now cant walk. We looked into getting a medical grade track system but costs $40k and it costs allot to get. And other things for around the house to make moving easier for him. He is non-verbal and cant say if wants to go out. So I figured I would try and make some of the things that are not too dangerous if they fail...example if I weld a small ramp and it breaks its not going to harm him.

So I was given some shop tools for either cheap or free only problem is they run on 220. The garage only setup to run basic 110. I was going to run a line from basement to garage but noticed I had a 'sub-box' think its called that outside near garage. I'm hoping this might work cause it seems it would save me allot of money.

The sub-box was used few years ago for a hot tub. We dont have it anymore but box is still there. When in basement, it looks like it runs to main box.

My question, can I use this sub-box to power everything in garage that needs 220? Would I change everything in sub box or leave it alone? Would I need to change anything on the 'main box' in the basement? As for the sub-box, do I 'need' to run the wire from the sub box underground to garage or can I just pipe it and drill hole into garage?

As for how many things will need the 220...I have 60gal Compressor, everlast 210EXT welder, Lotos Plasma cutter and thats really it. its not a fab shop...only me doing the work so will not be using all machines running at same time. I can see myself going from one to another but never 2 at same time. Not sure if this info helps but trying to give as much info you might need to help.

Thanks so much for your time and looking forward to hearing back some helpful advice.

20180114_194740 (450x800).jpg20180114_194704 (720x1280).jpg20171228_174330 (720x1280).jpg20171228_174335 (720x1280).jpg20180114_194740 (450x800).jpg20180114_194704 (720x1280).jpg20171228_174330 (720x1280).jpg20171228_174335 (720x1280).jpg

Chances are you have 220 single phase in that hot tub sub-feed but can't tell unless we can see the wires inside the panel. Not to discourage you but based on the wording of your question I don't think you have enough skills in your tool box yet to tear into an electrical panel. I would encourage you to seek a friend with some electrical knowledge to help you get started. That way you can learn with out killing yourself or burning down your house. I'm thinking someone to look over your shoulder and point you in the right direction. You have come to the fountain of knowledge at this site but sometimes you will have to put up with some ribbing to get what you need, so don't let that discourage you either. Good Luck!

20180206_130539.jpg20180206_130412.jpg

First I want to thank you for taking the time to share your advice. I'm also sorry for taking so long to reply, And hope you dont take my late reply as a lack of respect. As I explained before my son has down syndrome and often gets sick. Most times we can handle it but when we notice it getting worse we bring him to the hospital to make sure. Then a day after getting home, we found out we have termites (Joy...joy). So I went from excited to start garage to figuring out how to solve termite issue. We are going to try and go the DIY route first cause money is little tight.

Anyhow I have since changed plan alittle and hope someone can take a look and recommend if it sounds good and what items I would need to get.

NEW PLAN:

I dont want to use the sub panel outside (OLD PLAN). Unless someone here says different, I think it might be best to disconnect the old breakers going to outside sub-panel. And disconnect the wires from main box going to old sub-panel. Tape the wires up and not use them.

Then add NEW breaker to main box and just run a NEW line off the main box to NEW sub-panel in garage. If this sounds like a better idea, I would need help with the following...please:

Size of breakers for main box, (How many pole) to feed everything in Sub-panel
Size wire from box to sub-panel
Size of sub-panel...(would 100amp 12 circuit 6 space, work)

then...

Size of breakers for sub-panel, (How many pole)
Size wire from sub-panel to each outlet
Size Outlet

I'm thinking it will be easier (unless you guys think differently) to run the wire from the sub-panel to outlets, on the outside of the sheet rock. Might not look great but with the garage already full with things might be truly difficult to start drilling thru all the beams...again unless you guys think its better to hide the wire.

Side note, I also need advice on what size and what kind of wire to use, to make an extension cable for my welding machine. Would like to make it 25 feet. The extension cable is going be used only if I need to reach something outside of garage. Otherwise, the welder will be connected to an outlet like rest of the machine.

The 3 main things I will connect (but would like to wire with room to grow, just to play safe) are the following:

Everlast 210 EXT
PowerTIG 21 EXT - TIG Welders | Everlast Generators
I think its 240 1 phase and need 50Amp to play it safe

Husky Compressor C602H
Husky 6 Gal. Stationary Electric Air Compressor-C62H - The Home Depot
Think its 240 and need maybe 30Amp

Lotos Plasma cutter LTP5000D
Lotos 5 Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Inverter Plasma Cutter for Metal, Dual Voltage 11V/22V, 1/2 inch Clean Cut-LTP5D - The Home Depot
Think its 220 and need 50Amp again to play it safe

I dont think I will be adding more things to garage to run off sub-panel but maybe leave room for at least one more machine.

I hope this makes sense...I was trying to get as much info in this post that might be helpful. I know I might not be using the correct wording for somethings and this might make people nervous, thinking I'm going to kill myself (LOL), no worries...I promise. I just want to buy the items first and will NOT hook anything up until Ive asked you guys how it should go. And once I know the items I need to install in garage, it will make watching some vids online little easier. Cause what I have will relate to same items they installed.

By way, what does Square D 12-circuit 6-space 100Amp...mean anyhow?

Thanks again so much for the advice!

Sorry to bump this...but could really use some help please. Just looking for some experienced advice guys...please.

I would suggest finding an electrician who does not like doing work that is not wiring, so you can dig the ditch run the conduit and let him put the wires in. A 60 amp sub panel is a decent size for anything you might do. If you do the grunt work, it ought not be that crazy expensive

fst2011 I can't say what stuff you need exactly. But I ran a subpanel from my 200 amp box out to the garage. I got a 100amp breaker that feeds the 100 amp subpanel I had in stock. Then like you I am by myself in my shop and don't run a bunch of stuff at the same time. I have a 50 amp breaker in my box for the welder it works fine. but there is a bunch of stuff to consider when you get in to it like how many amps are you going to pull and what size wire to use all that information is available on the internet for being with in code etc. My suggestion is to either find a friend or do a little more searching. I like this site for machining stuff and there are very knowledgable people here but you can get more info quicker for your situation in a homebuilding website. or doing the research on your own like I did to figure out the wire size etc.

It is 'doable', and it's done every day. But the specific answers you seek will depend somewhat on distances between main panel and garage, whether you'll do buried or aerial drop to the garage, and whether you'll be running additional wires, like network, signaling, land-line phone, water, or gas for heat at the same time. But the biggest variable is local building and electrical code. For those reasons (and a few later,) it will be best to engage a real electrician for this. You can still do lots of the work, like trenching, sourcing of gear (stick wth your Square D stuff) and possibly even doing some of the grunt work like pulling wires. But you want a pro involved in this for many reasons -- including the possibility that you would be called away on a medical emergency basis while you've got a hot breaker box open, or you've got half the power to the house interrupted, etc. If you're rushing to attend to the emergency, you don't want to also be rushing to button up and re-power wiring and possibly making a dangerous oversight. Just too many variables for a DIY scenario. Plus, you can learn an awful lot by observing/helping a patient, experienced electrician. Including what you can do yourself, and what you shouldn't.

Guiding an inexperienced beginning electrician remotely, with the level of detail required is not really possible. But there are still ways to stretch your buck if you find the right electrician.

Clearly, from the questions you are asking, you are not qualified to do this work without onsite guidance. Not only can you damage your equipment or burn down your house you may even kill yourself. It's not hard to learn but it can be dangerous. Find a friend that can come over to help you at the least. Hire an electrician otherwise. As for the termites, the old way was to create a zone of poisoned soil as a barrier to access to your wood. The new way is bait stations that the termites take back to their nest to kill them. You can buy the chemicals/bait stations at home pest control stores, at least here in Texas you can. Take the money you save on termite treatment and hire an electrician.

First want to thank everyone for taking the time to help...truly I do appreciate the effort. With that...I also dont want this to turn into a nasty or pissing post. I said I take FULL responsibly...I said I was not going to connect any wires before posting pics and or asking...as well, trying to get a PRO to come out and do the last part...I've said all this. I would understand if I said, hey guys I'm connecting the positive and negative to my tongue is this ok.

I understand house can burn down...I understand I can kill myself. I said I will NOT sue anyone...I simply came here asking what I'm sure some if not MOST of you...have done this yourself. Maybe you had training, maybe you had friend help. I explained I cannot afford a pro...I already tried to hire pro to only do certain parts and either they dont want or they price it so high.

Some of you have asked really good questions which I didnt think to mention, thanks for asking. I'm just trying to get some advice. again I understand the DANGER...and I give you my promise...scouts honor I will not connect anything...I just want to buy the correct items, run everything BUT NOT CONNECT last part.

OK...so Main panel is in basement...cable...is going from the main panel other side of house, up inside of wall...over attic, then into garage, and down the garage wall to sub-panel. The garage is attached to house.

the length from main panel to sub panel going across and up then down wall, etc etc is about 80 feet give or take. Based on this info...would the things I listed work? Would you change anything? Do you think the 60A in the main panel is big enough to supply the sub panel? The only 2 machines that would ever run at same time would be the compressor and plasma.

Again, I promise you will not read in newspaper or online...novice welder burns down house and kills himself. Oh...forgot to mention, about code...yes I know things need to pass code...I take full responsibility if I cannot sell my house once im done.

Also...last thing...and I truly am not trying to be rude. Stop with the you will burn your house down, kill yourself, ruin your machines, etc etc...I do appreciate the advice...I really do. But enough people have mentioned this. I know what can happen. Please just trust the fact I will NOT connect anything to the main panel...just lend me your advice on material only.

One method that is not to kind to the electrical guys out there is to have some estimates given from some real professionals. You
will get a realistic cost analysis and also get the critical info needed to do the job. After finding out what is involved you can then
determine if you want to continue on your own or just get it done and get on with what you really want to do.

Back