What's new
What's new

Help balancing/setting up RPC for CNC

jonesturf

Cast Iron
I recently just setup a pony start 30hp RPC for a Hardinge Conquest. Currently trying to track lines so I can make sure I only power the electronics with the 2 regular phases and not the manufactured phase. I think I have that mostly figured out but it looks like part of the 110v transformer would be wired by the third phase. Wondering if I need to change that or if it's OK because it's going through a transformer. It's a Fanuc OT system.

Was playing around with balancing the caps without load just to get things normalized. Can post some results later but for now I got them pretty close but they all seem a little high, like 245v to 250v. From my panel I have 244v coming in. Initially my third phase was 211v so I figured before I went on I should at least get them close.

Amp draw seems high currently and that dropped while I was adding caps. Currently I believe I have 300mf and 200mf in it.

Will be working on it some more today. I've read a bunch of threads already but is there anything I'm missing?

I would not connect the 110v control transformer to the manufactured phase.

Your measurement "my third phase was 211v.." is incomplete:
The reading should be from T1 to T3 and T2 to T3. Assuming you call L1 & L2 as the inputs and T1, T2, & T3 as the output of the RPC. T3 being the manufactured line.

I agree with Rons

L1 = T1 = black
L2 = T2 = red
Third = T3 = blue = generated leg = wild leg = capacitor lag ... this is never a leg to use for switching or Control circuitry. Most drawings you will see always puts the third leg between T1 and T2. In my opinion it is still the blue leg.

I agree with Rons

L1 = T1 = black
L2 = T2 = red
Third = T3 = blue = generated leg = wild leg = capacitor lag ... this is never a leg to use for switching or Control circuitry. Most drawings you will see always puts the third leg between T1 and T2. In my opinion it is still the blue leg.

Thanks guys. I'm definitely trying to avoid that. Will post real numbers later on of voltages.

I have 220v and 110v going to the mainboard power supply. I did notice the tag says control: 110v, so I'm thinkning thats a sign. Not sure what the 220v is for unless its to power other parts of it. Also need to see if there are electrical diagrams. I'm not sure if I have those. They are not in the door.

Back