What's new
What's new

Help with Hobart mixer 115v 1ph, 1/3hp 60hz motor

MrPeables

Plastic
note; if this thread is posted in the wrong place,please point me in the right direction.

About me: I can tear an engine apart and put back together, I was a crane operator for nine years, I like challenges that expand my mind. That's why I'm here. I have limited knowledge of electrical theory, print reading and using a multimeter.

The trouble: I saved this old Hobart mixer from a junkpile. The switch was an on-off-momentary on, switch hooked up to a timer. The switch was fried along with the five wires that lead to it. The new switch is on or off… Hobart cannot get the on -off -momentary on.

After replacing the wires and connecting the leads I managed to get the motor to start. However now, after stripping and painting I cannot for the life of me get it to run again! It just humms. I replaced the starter capacitor and I've tried every imaginable configuration of the five wires to no avail.

I've tested the nine leads that go to the stater. And this is what I found:

T1-T2....2.5 ohm
T3-T4....2.6 ohm
T5-T6.....3.9 ohm
T7-T8.....3.9 ohm

Last lead is labeled K-1 and it goes to the centrifugal switch that's connected to the capacitor. I believe NC during start.

K1-T3...0.3 ohm
K1-T4...2.5 ohm

I believe that the windings are okay… Can someone confirm that? But I perform the correct test? Any other ideas?

I'll try to post some pictures.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 3,193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 10,352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 5,674
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 6,157
Last edited:
MrPeables

I do some rehab work on Hobart's in my slow time, most machines I work on are much larger than your 20Qt. I have not come across a model the same as yours, so no direct experience with this model. And Hobart is very scant on wiring diagrams, even in the manuals. The only diagram you can usually find is on the machine located on the backside of the covers usually. A few observations.

After taking a look at a manual for the machine I believe you have (no ML number given, taken from switch and timer cut sheet) I first notice the reason of the momentary switch, it's a 2 speed motor with a slow stir jog speed, running from the momentary side of the switch, timer must be set to the hold position for it to work. So that would explain to me, why you have more than 6 wires from the windings and also the two relays on the terminal board. As usual no diagrams are provided in the manual, only parts listings.

I would think of the relays as switching winding configurations for the 2 speeds. Seems to me that installing a SPST single pole single throw switch, in place of a DPDT momentary switch is likely a source of your problem, not switching the relays properly to configure the winding connections correctly. The type of rocker switch it had may be available through other vendors for other type of food equipment. This place here is a good source to look at, listings are usually brand specific but with some searching you may find other manf's using this same part. I remember in the old days that Carling was one of the switch manuf's that made this type.
https://www.fmponline.com/ecomm/Shop

The normal issue with these machines is the centrifugal starting switch and the capacitor, the switch and capacitor get worn out from frequent starting in use. But based on what you said, it started before you changed the wiring and control switch, I suspect that there is where the problem is. You didn't show a photo of the start switch and it's condition but be sure to check that too.

Can you find a diagram on the back side of one of the covers? Can you post the machine tag?
Hobart A200 Operation.jpg
SAF Ω

Took a quick look for Carling switches, they still make em in a screw mount.

Here's a cut sheet, scroll to the bottom. http://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/Tippette_Details_%26_COS.pdf

Carling website LTIG-Series: Tippette | carlingtech.com

Some old stock on ebay, you'd have to check the specs to match your old one. search "Carling rocker switch"

Carling 4 x 216 LTILA54 1L BL RC AXG Rocker Switch | eBay

Carling STDP Rocker Switch Black | eBay

Carling STSP Rocker Switch White LED Indicator | eBay

SAFΩ

Back